Guitar Exercises?

voicesinthefan

blackmetal warrior
Jan 1, 2004
Hello everybody. I've been browsing through the forums, and have come to the conclusion that there are some very talented guitarists here. So, I have come to ask for help. I've been played guitar for several years now, but I am not very happy with my playing ability. Of course, I know why, and it's because I never practice. Therefore, I was wondering if anybody could suggest a number of exercise techniques that will allow to me to work on both of my hands at the same time. I think it's about time that I buckle down and learn how to play my own instrument properly. I already use the 1-2-3-4 pattern up and down the neck. Any other suggestions for practice would be most welcome. Thanks.

Whenever anyone asks me this question I always have the same answer; scales. Take a scale (I'd recommend the blues scale), and play it until you can play it in your fuckin' sleep. Not only will this improve your songwriting, it will make you better at improv and non-imrov shredding, soloing, leads, etc. After that, I'd recommend doing the same with different modes; i.e. Locrian and Phyrgian. Hope that helps.

Mournful

I like playing a major scale in interval form. I always warm up with that. It's good because you can move it around the neck, which is important. It's played (in A):

e-----------------------------------
B-----------------------------------
G-----------------------------4-----
D----------------4---6-4-7-6----7--
A---4---5-4-7-5---7----------------
E-5---7-----------------------------

then, it's played backwards.

1.Metronome or other time keeping device(drum machine, etc)-this is IMPORTANT!!!! practice everything in time at speeds you can play it without error cleanly, then slowly bring up the tempo as you improve.

2.Get a copy of "speed mechanics for lead guitar" by Troy Steina. You will develop at a good pace with this book. He covers how to break things down so you can isolate your weaknesss and work things out.

3. if you know theory to the point you understand the major scale, minor/major chord constuction, I suggest you get a copy of "Chord Chemistry" by Ted Greene; He covers how to construct and use chords of all types. It's not only great from a standpoint of chord charts, he introduces how Jazz guitar players use chords and think about them.
It's complex at first, but you can use that book to really get some killer sounding chords outside of your typical power/barre chords.

That should give you plenty to play!