Guitar intonation help please

Jan 25, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I can't for the life of me get the 6th string on my Washburn X50 pro intonated correctly. It's a super strat style guitar with the Buz Feiten system. I don't know shit about the Buz Feiten system so maybe that is my issue.

The problem is that no matter what I do the open 6th string is about 20 cents sharper than the 12th harmonic. All the other strings, the open string is very close or identical to the 12th harmonic. This makes it so that I can't get the 6th string intonated, ever. I'd like to be able to save a little cash and fix this on my own if anybody has some suggestions.

you need to go to the saddle on that string at the bridge and turn the screw so the saddle goes backwards (away from neck)
buz feiten is more for nut compensation if I am correct

Sometimes the saddle will go all the way back and it still will be out so in that case you may have to flip it around so the edge is the furtherest point back

FMGWMBNFF22W1XD.MEDIUM.jpg

I'm assuming you're using a fresh set of strings? What are you tuned to? More than likely the pick attack on the open note causes it to go slightly sharp. I tune my lowest string just slightly flat to account for this. Check this article from Skin Yard's brilliant Jack Endino.
http://www.endino.com/archive/tuningnightmares.html
I just had a hell of a time intonating the low C on a 24.75 scale length guitar in drop C. I went all the way up to a .58 Super Slinky and it was unusable despite my best efforts. Extremely sharp on the open C and perfect at the harmonic. Just a few days ago I put a set of DR DDT 11-54 strings on and its as near perfect as you can get. I've never had that happen to me before, but I'm never throwing Slinkys on that guitar again. I used to use that guitar back in the day in drop C with rediculously light 10-46 Blue Steels and never had as big as an issue as I did with the heavier gauge Slinky.

Sometimes the saddle will go all the way back and it still will be out so in that case you may have to flip it around so the edge is the furtherest point back

FMGWMBNFF22W1XD.MEDIUM.jpg

Good tip! I might give that a shot. Right now the saddle is as far back as possible and still the open note is 20 cents sharper than the 12th harmonic.

I'm assuming you're using a fresh set of strings? What are you tuned to? More than likely the pick attack on the open note causes it to go slightly sharp. I tune my lowest string just slightly flat to account for this. Check this article from Skin Yard's brilliant Jack Endino.
http://www.endino.com/archive/tuningnightmares.html
I just had a hell of a time intonating the low C on a 24.75 scale length guitar in drop C. I went all the way up to a .58 Super Slinky and it was unusable despite my best efforts. Extremely sharp on the open C and perfect at the harmonic. Just a few days ago I put a set of DR DDT 11-54 strings on and its as near perfect as you can get. I've never had that happen to me before, but I'm never throwing Slinkys on that guitar again. I used to use that guitar back in the day in drop C with rediculously light 10-46 Blue Steels and never had as big as an issue as I did with the heavier gauge Slinky.

Yes just changed strings and tried to set intonation today. I always tune the 6th string slightly flat also, but this is just too big of a difference.

I am using 12-52 in Standard E. Now that you mention string gauges I am sure that this is the issue. I used to use 10-52 and don't remember ever having an issue up until I switched to 12-52.

Thanks guys. I'll put back the old 10-52's and see if everything goes to normal.