Guitar panning/volume advice

Raventhornicus

New Metal Member
Mar 20, 2016
I'm recording 4 heavy distorted tracks/melodic death metal. Two guitars hard left and hard right doing the heavy, chugging rhythm parts, and two guitars panned 85L and 85R doing lead/melody parts. However, at some parts during the songs all four guitars play the same riff or play the same riff harmonised. I've found that this can sound too large or loud in comparison to the rest of the mix when all 4 tracks play the same/similar riff. However, recording it on just two tracks sounds too empty and soft in comparison to the rest of the mix. How do I get around this?

Just reduce the volume of the whole guitar bus for this part and bring it back up when the part is over.To my knowledge that's the way most people are doing it. It's the same with vocals, sometimes you have a lot of tracks with doubles and harmonies and it can get reaaally overbearing when all of them come together at the same time. The first easy fix for this is to reduce the overall volume of the vocals for this part and bring it back up when it's over.