Guitarists - String Guages?

SyXified said:
Evos are really great in a lot of instances but you need a GOOD amp to do them justice. If you are just playing through a practice amp, I find evos blend everything into a big mush, and you can't get enough definition to even tell if you are playing correctly.
Thanks for the advice.

This is a good discussion...

SyXified said:
Playing like Romeo should be looked at in three sections: (my opinion of course)
Riffing, Lead Runs, and Solos

Et cetera...

for those that wanted the tapping lesson thing, it's up now at http://www.powertabs.net/pta.php?page=song,11955 if the link doesn't work just go to the powertab archive. It's in the lessons section, then Guitar (general), "Michael Romeo Tapping Mechanics"

I also submitted another powertab which is a variation on the first one. It'll contain a little legato part on the low E string much like what Romeo does in the first Of Sins and Shadows solo.

back to the topic... i use 11-53 for standard, the low e still feels a little loose tho. The problem i have is if i get higher guage strings for the low strings the timbre difference will be even more radical than it is now (it goes from really low mush to piercingly bright going up 3 notes per string in the major scale) but if i fix that the low strings will all feel like damn rubber bands.

@Poof Daddy - 1153 should NOT feel like rubber bands, no matter what, no way!

Your problem must be somewhere else than string gauge. What stings, picks, amp, guitar, etc are you using?

i have a 25.5 neck, and i was referring to if i got thinner wound strings so they dont sound so damn heavy and the timbre of all of the strings would match more THEN the lower ones would feel like rubber bands.

well my amp is sorta fucked up, im runnin a tube preamp with no eq on it through the clean channel on a shitty behringer solid state to get eq. I wont be able to fix this till i get a cab which is lookin like never since i never have money.

There are plenty of deals on eBay that you can get for cheap. I got a Chandler Tube Driver rack mount for $20! And I got a li'l DOD thingy at Music Go Round for $25. I play those two through a little Fender Sidekick 10 amp here at the office and it's quite sufficient.

Where in the chain do you have the eq? If it's in front of the amp, I'd recommend moving it to the effects loop so it's after the preamp stage. You'll have more control with the eq.

I have no problems at all with my 9-42 sets tuned to standard tuning.

I use D'Addario 008-038 strings... I used to play with standard ernie balls.. Going from standard to these strings was a little weird and hard to play at first, but in my opinion, alot easier with speed and tapping.

I use Ernieball RPS Extra Slinky Strings (08 - 38 I think) but I bought some new Super SLinky Ones (09) Because I want to pick the strings with more conviction! (Pablo Gilberto kind of picking) I'll buy soonly some tone ZOne pickups and I was wondering if X2N would be a great choice (I did'nt know that mike is using these!) ..... Is it the real topic of this thread???

cYberkYller said:
I use Ernieball RPS Extra Slinky Strings (08 - 38 I think) but I bought some new Super SLinky Ones (09) Because I want to pick the strings with more conviction! (Pablo Gilberto kind of picking) I'll buy soonly some tone ZOne pickups and I was wondering if X2N would be a great choice (I did'nt know that mike is using these!) ..... Is it the real topic of this thread???
Pickup variety depends on your personal preferences. To form a preference, though, you really need to listen to the choices through your own system. The Tone Zone is a pretty hot pickup with pushed mids. Paul Gilbert really likes these pickups in the bridge, and Romeo uses one in the neck. It's a monster pickup for the neck, but since the X2N is so hot in the bridge perhaps it is a good choice for balance.

Your rig will also dictate what pickups you like. The best means of finding what you like best is obviously to try them all at home, but that's quite expensive. DiMarzio has a great website with all the specs you could ask for on each model. It's hard to chase pickup models based solely on what your favorite player uses though because their rig and their styles (abilities) have much to say in the final tone coming out of the speakers.

I tried the Petrucci set up (Steve's Special in the bridge and Air Norton in the neck). I'm not too happy with the Steve's Special, but it is more my set up than the pickup, I think. That, plus a failing selector switch. I really dig the Air Norton though.

I also have the standard TZ/PAF Pro set up as well, and it works well, though I need to get rid of a buzz in the electronics before I am really happy.

My first aftermarket pickup set was an EMG 81 in the bridge and an EMG 85 in the neck. No, I didn't copy that from Kirk Hammett - I've had this installation since '87-'88, before I had even heard of Mr. Hammett. I've gotta say I love those pickups though.

If you do get the X2N, prepare to feel some heat though. I'm looking for the right price on one on Ebay.

the x2n is probably the hottest pickup out there today, even when put against emgs (to my ear anyway) and i love it, my jackson has evolutions in it as well and there are killer pickups, nice and balanced output great for high gain stuff or soft melodic stuff (or you can just go nuts on them!)