Gunter Werno is one of the most overlooked prog keyboard greats

arglebargle

Dec 2, 2002
Chicago, IL
He's the keyboardist for Vanden Plas, in case you don't know.

I mean, this guy's key texture and color is simply amazing, and he can shred at least as good (prolly) as Mike Pinnella. :headbang: He has a lot more emotion than many keyboardists IMO.

Anyone else think Werno is sadly underrated?

And please, no "OGM THAY R TEH DREEM THEETAR RIPOFFZ!1!1" :D

Great keys and awesome musician. Met him at PPUSA 2.0 when he was playing for Kamleot, totally cool and down to earth dude, I really look forward to seeing Vanden Plas this time ,wooot!!!

Bear

I only have the live album(Spirit of Live?)from Vanden Plas, and I must say I wasn`t too impressed by his keyboard solo or his textures throughout the rest of the record.

Harp Heaven said:
I only have the live album(Spirit of Live?)from Vanden Plas, and I must say I wasn`t too impressed by his keyboard solo or his textures throughout the rest of the record.

Have you heard Kamelots "The Expedition", Gunter plays on that as well, I think he does and outstanding job live and in the studio. there is more to keyboard playing than shredding like Vatlij or Jens you know :p

Bear

Kamelot - Farewell

arglebargle,

I too am a fan of Werno and I rate him highly. His piano work is stellar which is no wonder Vanden Plas write awesome ballads (I'm In You anyone?). I love his solos too and his tone although his live solo sounded a lot like Derek Sherinian. Am I the only one who doesn't think VP sound like Dream Theater in the way that so many do? OK they have similarities but VP's music is more focused on they don't get carried away in the instrumental sections and the writing is more focused on the choruses which makes the music easier to appreciate for the more casual listener.

I forgot to mention the side project if you can call it that called Missa Mercuria which features all memebers of VP except Torsten (bass). It also features DC Cooper among other guests and it's an amazing album and features the trademark VP choruses. Has anyone got this album? It was released a few months ago. My faves are Divine Spark, Spirit of Wisdom and the gorgeous Fairytale of Truth. I must admit that the main riff in the title track is awfully similar to Ytse Jam.

progmetalgod said:
I forgot to mention the side project if you can call it that called Missa Mercuria which features all memebers of VP except Torsten (bass). It also features DC Cooper among other guests and it's an amazing album and features the trademark VP choruses. Has anyone got this album?
I have Missa Mercuria. It is a great CD. The only thing I don't like is the vocals on the title track. I mentioned that to Stephan Lill and here is exactly what he wrote back to me about it:

"I think musicwise the song is great, just the vocals .... the woman that payed the production insisted on that girl singing this song, because they are friends. Everybody exept her knew that the people won´t like that too much, but it was her production. Nobody could convince her to let somebody else sing that song, so it happened."

Snowmaker, I agree about the vocals on the title track too and it's the only downfall on the album. How do you know Lill? He's one of my fave guitarists.