Gus Sig Guitar Changes by Year

dragonzrmetal

Sep 15, 2013
Hi, I've got a 2007 Gus 600 FR model, and I've recently bought an Edwards Syu sig. I'm not happy with it and I might sell it, in which case I'll buy another Gus G model.

Just wondering what changes happened by year? I know one year the coil tap got replaced for a kill switch and the front wing got thinner. At some point the inlays got updated. The newer models also seem to be a brighter red. Obviously this year, there were massive changes, but unfortunately, the LTD version released was crap. Does anyone have any more info on this? I'm looking at a 2011 NT on ebay and it looks the same as my FR but for the bridge and I'm wondering if there's any upgrades. Thanks!

Update- I can see the 2011 model has ESP locking tuners rather than Grovers, and the strap button is moved, presumably to fix the neck dive.

Hi, I've got a 2007 Gus 600 FR model, and I've recently bought an Edwards Syu sig. I'm not happy with it and I might sell it, in which case I'll buy another Gus G model.

Just wondering what changes happened by year? I know one year the coil tap got replaced for a kill switch and the front wing got thinner. At some point the inlays got updated. The newer models also seem to be a brighter red. Obviously this year, there were massive changes, but unfortunately, the LTD version released was crap. Does anyone have any more info on this? I'm looking at a 2011 NT on ebay and it looks the same as my FR but for the bridge and I'm wondering if there's any upgrades. Thanks!

Update- I can see the 2011 model has ESP locking tuners rather than Grovers, and the strap button is moved, presumably to fix the neck dive.

2007. The FR model
2008. The FR was replaced by the NT as Gus found the Floyd bridge to be uncomfortable.
2009-2010. The EC-600 was released. With the killswitch and Seymour Duncan blackouts. No upgrades to the NT models
2011/2012 Gus G inlays, extended cutaway for better access, Gus g seymour Duncan pickups (Edwards offers this model with Firewind logo inlays.) brighter red top. (Still not he same color as ESP or Edwards)

Because of the changes within the ESP company, artist signature guitars are considered to be custom shop. That is why the only versions of his new matte black NT and EC are budget conscious versions only.

He has put the SD blackouts back in his Rockart. Not sure if it's just his main one, if he went back to blackouts I'm all of his rockarts. The pickups in the matte finish NT are his signature pickups with white bobbins.

I should also mention that there are variations of the NT models floating around out there. There are FR models with unpainted necks, (Gus used the unpainted ones for a short time. There are some NT models with a reverse headstock and unpainted necks.

Ah, thanks a ton! I hadn't heard of the unpainted necks, they sound very interesting. So was it 2011/12 the coil tap got swapped out for a killswitch? And I didn't know he found it uncomfortable, I thought he said he in an interview that he felt like he had more control with a stop tail. He mentioned it to me when we talked, but I can't remember what exact reason he gave for preferring the stoptails.

Do you have any pictures of these weird variations? Now you mention it, I have seen an NT with a reverse headstock before, but never seen an unpainted neck. I noticed his new models with the unpainted necks. I didn't realise the ESP guitars were a different colour either, but I've never seen one in person to compare them.

The changes inside ESP sound quite silly. They're missing out on sales. No way would I buy one of the crappy new LTDs, and no way can I afford a custom shop, or any brand new ESP for that matter. My brand new Edwards was a stretch, and it was nearly half price.

Do you have any idea how much used ESP Gus models tend to go for? They might be worth a look into.

Ah, thanks a ton! I hadn't heard of the unpainted necks, they sound very interesting. So was it 2011/12 the coil tap got swapped out for a killswitch? And I didn't know he found it uncomfortable, I thought he said he in an interview that he felt like he had more control with a stop tail. He mentioned it to me when we talked, but I can't remember what exact reason he gave for preferring the stoptails.

Do you have any pictures of these weird variations? Now you mention it, I have seen an NT with a reverse headstock before, but never seen an unpainted neck. I noticed his new models with the unpainted necks. I didn't realise the ESP guitars were a different colour either, but I've never seen one in person to compare them.

The changes inside ESP sound quite silly. They're missing out on sales. No way would I buy one of the crappy new LTDs, and no way can I afford a custom shop, or any brand new ESP for that matter. My brand new Edwards was a stretch, and it was nearly half price.

Do you have any idea how much used ESP Gus models tend to go for? They might be worth a look into.

Gus ESP models have been showing up on ebay for about 1300-1600 in the last 2 years or so. I have two Gus G Edwards models and I'm more than happen with those. The 5 LTDs that I have are the first builds. One which I converted to the matte finish a couple of years ago. It's a 200NT so it wasn't a big deal to paint over it.

I've seen one NT reverse headstock and it was a guitar that was used for a giveaway in 2012.

Here is a video of Gus playing with Uli Roth in 2010. You can see that his guitar has an unfinished neck. ESP did a limited run of those, and I've seen one pop up on ebay in the last 4 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPO-sIz7XQI

Is that £ or $? If that's $ I'm really impressed, I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up at £1000.

Yes, that's the one I saw too. I wonder if it's a one off, and who has it now.

I really like that, do you know if the LTDs had a run of unfinished necks?