guy wants to use line 6 toneport??

broken81

Used by Protools
Dec 26, 2005
Detroit, MI
OK I'm gonna record my buddy's band and there guitarist has a tone port by line 6.

Now I'm running protools is there any way to use this and record into protools or just chuck that idea and make him use through amp.

I suggested my tube amp and Marshall 1960 cab for them to record to sound good but there set on there own tone (solid state) :puke: so i just chuckled and said ok, but i guess one of the guitarist uses this thing as a preamp or some shit i don't know :Smug:

Hi,...

I use toneport in ProTools,..well....simple: Install the toneport software on your computer>put your line-out from toneport in your pre-amp and record!

(p.s. use a A&B-box from the guitar to toneport. So you can use the DI-signal for re-amping!

greetings from Holland

It's happened to me a few times that guitar players insist on bringing their own stuff to the studio, especially back when I was still working with demo recordings.
I've seen people walk in with Zoom pedals and honestly think that I will let them rape my studio with that... I've seen people drag down Valvestate tops, Randall tops, Metal Zone pedals (a lot of them), DOD Death Metal pedals, and other weird things... And what it usually led up to has been that I let them try an Engl or something for five seconds and they haven't looked back, hehe.

Of course, these people have always insisted on bringing their stuff to the studio, which is fine by me but I usually know that it will not be used in the end anyway. It will just sit on the floor in the tv room for 2-3 weeks instead and collect dust.

tgs said:
It's happened to me a few times that guitar players insist on bringing their own stuff to the studio, especially back when I was still working with demo recordings.
I've seen people walk in with Zoom pedals and honestly think that I will let them rape my studio with that... I've seen people drag down Valvestate tops, Randall tops, Metal Zone pedals (a lot of them), DOD Death Metal pedals, and other weird things... And what it usually led up to has been that I let them try an Engl or something for five seconds and they haven't looked back, hehe.

Of course, these people have always insisted on bringing their stuff to the studio, which is fine by me but I usually know that it will not be used in the end anyway. It will just sit on the floor in the tv room for 2-3 weeks instead and collect dust.
ditto

It uses USB 2.0

it can use it for 2 things...
in the simpler of 2 cases, it uses it to push digital sound to the software installed on your computer, and then push the effected digital sound back to the toneport where it goes through a DAC and out of the analog outputs.
For this to work you only need to install the toneport software and you do not need to mess with your sequencer as the audio routing will happen outside your computer.

In the more complex of cases, you can in addition to the toneport software, install an asio driver for the toneport. In which case you can bypass the last half of what is above, but you will then need to tell your sequencer to use these as the inputs. The problem is you wont want to use the toneport as your outputs from the sequencer, and using one device as an input on a track and another as an output is not fun, so I would suggest the simpler option.
Not sure what you are running pro tools on, but if you still want to do this and elect for option 1, I would try and install the toneport software on something other than your studio computer, since the possibilities for the software to interfere with the studio session is high. Some people have issues with installing it and it will take CPU time (although on modern computers, not too much). A better option is for the guy that wants to use it to install it on a laptop or something, it wouldnt need a soundcard, any PC/laptop with usb2 will do. The other thing would be, if he is to install it on your PC, he will need to bring his patches with him as well, unless you want to spend a few hours recreating them.

hope the above makes sense

simple solution man...... do an a/b on some test tracks... let him put a guide down how ever he wants then set the amp up, there really is some kick ass tone from the line6 stuff... not familier withe the tone port but i asume it will use the same algorithms as the pod kit.

use the best one as the main tone and maybe quad track the rythm (if they can play tight enough) could sound really cool man

C.

yea im just leting them use there stuff cause not only do i have to drag all my recording gear and mic stands to them i also would have to bring my guitar rig too:Smug:

They wana use there stuff anyway and i offered the tube amp but they denied! :puke:

I used to prefer Line 6 stuff as well as solid state amps because they tend to get more articulation out of shitty guitars with shitty pickups. Tube amps reveal the flaws in cheap guitars more, and seldom get enough gain or clarity with cheap guitars. Whereas, a Crate or Line 6 amp can get brutal gain with reasonable articulation clarity out of just about any guitar, even if the overall tone is thin and brittle. That is why they are the kings of the budget amp arena.

Any n00bs who gravitate towards this make sense to me, I was in the same headspace until 2004.

Kazrog said:
I used to prefer Line 6 stuff as well as solid state amps because they tend to get more articulation out of shitty guitars with shitty pickups. Tube amps reveal the flaws in cheap guitars more, and seldom get enough gain or clarity with cheap guitars. Whereas, a Crate or Line 6 amp can get brutal gain with reasonable articulation clarity out of just about any guitar, even if the overall tone is thin and brittle. That is why they are the kings of the budget amp arena.

Any n00bs who gravitate towards this make sense to me, I was in the same headspace until 2004.

very true man... i did a test on a couple patches and amps with diferent pick ups etc when i moved into my new premises a couple of years back (to get the feel for the room.... the thing that became most apparent is that the pod had a sound that didn't have alot of the character of the actual guitars used (we're not talking pod xt...just old pod) where as say the messa was very reactive to the individual instruments individuality

.... perfect example was coil tapping a prs @ the bridge not much on the pod but a whole new world on the messa! Also prs vs cheep ibanez on the pod high gain not much diference where as real amps showed the shame of the cheaper guitar

C.