The Navigator

Go screw yourself
Apr 24, 2001
Tucson, AZ
www.mattdinniman.com
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A5175-2003Sep26?language=printer

Gov't Recalls All Segway Scooters

I49371-2001Dec03
[font=arial, helvetica][size=-2]The one-person, battery-powered Segway scooter was first unveiled in December 2001. (Courtesy Segway)
[/size][/font]
By Jonathan D. Salant
Associated Press Writer
Friday, September 26, 2003; 1:14 PM

The maker of the Segway Human Transporter has agreed to recall the motorized scooters because riders have been injured falling off when its batteries are low.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission announced the recall Friday, saying that three people had been injured. One suffered a head wound and needed stitches.

The recall involves about 6,000 of the single-rider, two-wheeled scooters that can travel up to 12 mph. The scooter uses gyroscopes to keep it upright, making it less likely to fall or be knocked over.

But the CPSC said that scooters being operated with low battery power may not have enough power to remain upright, causing the rider to fall.

The Segway was unveiled in December 2001 to much fanfare by Dean Kamen, an inventor who holds some 100 patents, including a wheelchair that climbs stairs and the first portable kidney dialysis machine.

Commercial and consumer models on the list include the Segway HT i167 (i series), the e167 (e series) and p133 (p series).

The scooters cost around $4,950 apiece.

The company is offering a free software upgrade. While Segway plans to contact owners, consumers also may call the company toll free at 1-877-889-9020 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. weekdays to obtain the free upgrade.

The Segway is available online through Amazon.com, as well as from authorized dealers and the company itself. In afternoon trading on the Nasdaq Stock Market, shares of Amazon.com Inc. were down 97 cents, or 1.9 percent, to $49.08.

Reactions: duckattack
That's why I'm glad I have a Bigfoot Go-Ped. :p

It goes about 35 mph with my new upgraded G230RC 2.5 hp motor, and I can hit trails and jumps with it. :heh:

bigfoot300.gif

Here's the real reason they got recalled - they're a threat to national security! :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2989000.stm

Bush fails the Segway test
Saturday, 14 June, 2003

_39160404_bush-fall-203body.jpg

The president at least managed to keep his balance

George W Bush has fallen off a Segway - a new stand-on scooter designed to make motorised travel user-friendly.
The machine went down when he stepped onto it at his family estate in Kennebunkport, Maine, but he managed to leap to safety, landing on his feet.

The US president managed to master his lawnmower-like steed, developed by BAE Systems in Plymouth, Devon, at the second attempt and cruised around the driveway with his father George Bush Senior following closely on a second Segway.

A safety manual warns the Segway user to wear a helmet and "get a friend to act as your spotter" but Mr Bush was wearing only his tennis clothes and clutching his racket, while the nearest he had to a "spotter" appeared to be the family dog, Spot.

_39160356_bush-ap-203body.jpg

The elder Bush's example may have done the trick

"If you try your first ride without a spotter, you are at greater risk of injury and you probably won't enjoy the experience as much," the manual notes.

The president was not available to comment on the incident, which was caught on film, or confirm whether he had tried out the Segway before.

His foray on the new scooter follows Vice President Dick Cheney's use of a Segway to ride around his Washington office when his Achilles tendon was playing up.

The machine's creator, Dean Kamen, wants to see US Special Forces troops eventually ride Segways into battle.

But machines in use around the world at present have been mostly confined to gentle tasks such as traversing car parks or airport check-in halls.

BBC News Online journalists are currently seeing if they can triumph where President Bush failed, by taking a pair of the two-wheeled transporters out for a test ride.

See how they fared (or perhaps fell) in a report next week.

duckattack said:
_39160404_bush-fall-203body.jpg

The president at least managed to keep his balance

George W Bush has fallen off a Segway - a new stand-on scooter designed to make motorised travel user-friendly.
The machine went down when he stepped onto it at his family estate in Kennebunkport, Maine, but he managed to leap to safety, landing on his feet.
I'm tellin' you, the guy is a ninja.o_O

Reactions: duckattack
duckattack said:
Well, I'm sure he's been keeping his reflexes honed since he got attacked by those terrorist pretzels last year! :cool:
Come on, he's the first athlete/physical specimen we've had for a President in a long time. I'm hardly surprised that he was able to leap to safety. He probably back flipped off the fuckin thing. Clinton did nothing but sit around and stuff his face with bacon triple cheeseburgers and fried chicken all day.

The Navigator said:
Clinton was a big guy. but he could run 5 miles without breaking a sweat. He had to keep his protein levels up.

Then why did he keep giving it away so freely to Monica? :cry:

Oh, THAT's why he had to keep his protein level up! !:eek:

:oops:

possessed said:
Come on, he's the first athlete/physical specimen we've had for a President in a long time. I'm hardly surprised that he was able to leap to safety. He probably back flipped off the fuckin thing. Clinton did nothing but sit around and stuff his face with bacon triple cheeseburgers and fried chicken all day.
Wow.. yet another reason to admire President Bush. He's athletic!