HALESTORM's LZZY HALE Defends GRETA VAN FLEET Over LED ZEPPELIN Comparisons

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
HALESTORM frontwoman Lzzy Hale has defended GRETA VAN FLEET over accusations that the Michigan rockers have ripped off LED ZEPPELIN, saying that "a lot of kids should be reintroduced" to ZEPPELIN-style rock and roll. Despite the fact that GRETA VAN FLEET has managed to sell out shows all over the world, the four-piece has been criticized for channeling a sound uncannily similar to LED ZEPPELIN, with some music fans slamming singer Josh Kiszka for allegedly copy-and-pasting Robert Plant's vocal style. During a recent interview with Rolling Stone, Hale was asked if she is a fan of GRETA VAN FLEET. "I am, because I was that age once," she said. "I started [HALESTORM] when I was a kid too. I know people dog on them about how they sound similar to ZEPPELIN, but at the same time, when we first started putting our stuff into the world, didn't we wear our influences on our sleeves? I'll take it, because LED ZEPPELIN is awesome and I think a lot of kids should be reintroduced to this. Just by being up there and playing instruments — they plug in, play and actually sing — it's a great thing for kids to see." GRETA VAN FLEET's sound has been compared to LED ZEPPELIN numerous times, with Plant even seeing the similarities. "There's a band in Detroit called GRETA VAN FLEET: they are 'Led Zeppelin I'," he said. "Beautiful little singer, I hate him!" he said last year. Last month, GRETA VAN FLEET scored four Grammy Award nominations, one for each major rock category — "Best Rock Album", "Best Rock Song", "Best Rock Performance" — and a "Best New Artist" nod. The band's debut album, "Anthem Of The Peaceful Army", debuted at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 chart in July despite earning a lukewarm 53/100 score on review curation site Metacritic.

Continue reading...