half time riff tightening madness

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
i finally figured it out, its quite simple

solo the guitar and the click, record the riff at half time

put a slice at the beginning of every note (be aware some notes might be longer than others within the riff) slip as you go along, to align notes with grid.

put another slice in the middle of each note (half a 16th is 32nd, half of a 1/8th triplet is 1/16th triplet, ect)

remove the second half of each note

slide the remaining blobs of audio together

add crossfades that slide back (to reveal more attack of each cut note)

done.

enjoy.

CHEATING!
facepalm.gif

i finally figured it out, its quite simple

solo the guitar and the click, record the riff at half time

put a slice at the beginning of every note (be aware some notes might be longer than others within the riff) slip as you go along, to align notes with grid.

put another slice in the middle of each note (half a 16th is 32nd, half of a 1/8th triplet is 1/16th triplet, ect)

remove the second half of each note

slide the remaining blobs of audio together

add crossfades that slide back (to reveal more attack of each cut note)

done.

enjoy.

Hmm do you have any sample of this in action? Does it not sound weird since you are removing the natural decay of each note?

Seriously guys why take the time to fix it in the mix? Wouldn't it sound better without doing it like this? I did not mean for my initial post to sound so arrogant but things like this just anger me. I am not trying to appear like an elitist either. I can understand when you would need this though if you have under par guitarists tracking and for that thank you for posting this tip.

Seriously guys why take the time to fix it in the mix? Wouldn't it sound better without doing it like this? I did not mean for my initial post to sound so arrogant but things like this just anger me. I am not trying to appear like an elitist either. I can understand when you would need this though if you have under par guitarists tracking and for that thank you for posting this tip.

some people get paid for good production.if you can turn shit into gold your set

i dont care about the band sometimes, just how they sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive done something similar before. If a dude is having trouble nailing the part at speed or just not hitting the rhythm right I'll just have him play the riff without the click at a comfortable and clean speed, then just chop it up and snap into place. The slide back and crossfade part that Joey mentioned is really important to bring some feel back into the part. If you have auto crossfades enabled you probably wont have to fuck with manual ones, just pull the event edge back a bit until it sounds right.

i've only used this on tremolo picking "black metal style" riffs so far....worked really well! never tried it on any different styled riffs, though, although i'd assume the mechanical sound will be way more apparent than on those tremolo riffs.
one might argue that tremolo picking riffs usually aren't the most difficult anyways, so why bother with this approach....well, i found it most useful in a technical death metal context, where there are some quick position/note changes that are indeed difficult....recording it at half time makes the position changes slower, obviously, and therefore easier to perform.

it's a last resort thing for me, but a great working one.

edit: im usually using the second half of the notes, though. this way i get rid of the (more or less) slurry position changes.

I FUCKING SUCK RETARDEDLY AT TREM PICKING - so my solution is to not write riffs that use it, what a concept!! :loco: However, I can sympathize with people who have a tough time doing it

A shredder that sucks at trem picking??? :loco:o_O:zombie:

~006

Hahaha, well if by those emoticons you think that's a weird combo, my thing has ALWAYS been playing as fast as I can without cheating, so I've just always worked up my picking speed (which isn't SUPER-fast anyway) by focusing on the wrist rather than the arm portion.

I'm very thankful people like Joey post tips like this. I know and get some people are totally against these type of things and what not but the smart @#$ remarks seem kinda lame and uncalled for here. Some people don't understand that its your job to get the best product and that the recording/production you get sells your work to other bands. Bands love walking away with a killer recording even if they can't pull it off live (like i care anyways) and shit there live show does not sell my/your studio work. So whatever and keep posting great tips and tricks Joey!