Halford - 'The Mower'

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Waht's wrong with some artists today? The new Halford single comprises (at least for me) a lesson in how to alienate your fans. Yes it's a metal song, and yes it's damn heavy, but it just lacks soul. I could have work for some other band but not for what I expect from him.

The vocals are unnecesarilly high pitched, at 4:39 the song starts for real after the :37 mark (being the beginnning some overdubs voices with some background) and dies with an unnecessary growl at 4:27.
The playing is forceful but without substance. And considering that both Roy Z and Metal Mike are on the guitars I would have wanted a much better work. The drumming courtesy of Bobby Jarzombek is heavy but he has done better. In a nutshell, absolutely skippable for me.

The only Halford album I liked (other than the amazing Live Insurrection) was Resurrection. Crucible was just too dark, the songs were lacking and I didn't like the production style.

You know, I kinda like the tune. It's heavy, Halford does the high vox but they sound pretty good. Kinda reminds me of Fight. The production's also WAY better than the latest Judas Priest album :)

By the way, you can DOWNLOAD IT HERE.

At least it's better then the Christmas album.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crucible was just too dark, the songs were lacking and I didn't like the production style.

Right maybe but way better than this song, I do enjoy "Crucible".

Kinda reminds me of Fight. The production's also WAY better than the latest Judas Priest album :)

Does remind Fight but not in the good sense, and I don't mind production as long as the music is good, which is not the case.

The playing is forceful but without substance. And considering that both Roy Z and Metal Mike are on the guitars I would have wanted a much better work.

I second this statement... It started up and I'm thinking ok... its heavy then it just didn't go anywhere to me. Even during the solo it just kept trudging along. Not the worst but not that good either.

The Anaheim cd has the best live version of Painkiller with Halford singing I've ever heard. :kickass:

The Crucible tunes also take on a new life. Especially Golgotha.

It's decent enough, but I expected more from Halford.

Exactly. I expected more from Halford. For me, "Resurrection" is overwhelming, excellent, the best Rob has done since "Painkiller" album. "Crucible" just OK. I´d like to listen new stuff in the "Resurrection" vein not in "Crucible" or Fight.

Anyone checked out the Crucible "remixed & remastered" that just came out?