Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
150_150.jpg

Label: http://www.nuclearblastusa.com/
Release Date: April 5, 2005
Home Page: http://www.hammerfall.net

There was a period of time, during the mid-1990s, when I didn’t listen to much Metal. At least, not to new Metal. Looking back on it, I’m not really sure how I lost touch with my beloved genre. Was it because Metal went underground, and I didn’t know how or where to find it? Maybe the Grunge sounds of ALICE IN CHAINS, SOUNDGARDEN and PEARL JAM had momentarily diverted my attention. Or perhaps, just perhaps, I was an unwilling participant in some covert government experiment, that separated people from Metal, in a misguided attempt to learn what effect it would have on their psyches. Being a fan of Metal, and the X-Files, the latter explanation seems the most plausible to me.

When I finally broke free of this government-sponsored mind control, one of the first bands to rekindle my interest in Metal was HAMMERFALL. I vividly recall driving down the road one summer day, cranking up Legacy of Kings and practically feeling giddy. I immediately went out and bought Glory to Brave, and then waited, impatiently, for the next HAMMERFALL CD to be released. Two years later, Renegade was finally released. Yuck! What the hell happened here? Where’s the speed and power of Legacy of Kings? OK. OK. No need to worry. You can’t hit a homerun every time at bat. Two more years, then Crimson Thunder. This sucks! What’s going on? This is just as bad as Renegade.

Here we are… it’s 2005, and HAMMERFALL have just released their fifth full length CD, the aptly titled Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken. At this point, HAMMERFALL have completely fallen off my musical radar, and I doubt I would have even bothered to listen to this disc had it not been given to me for review. So, is this a matter of third time’s the charm or three strikes and you’re out? Unfortunately, Chapter V picks up right where Renegade and Crimson Thunder left off.

Since the songs on Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken lack variety, a song by song review is unnecessary. Almost all of the tracks move at roughly the same pace and they almost all contain some of the silliest backing vocals I’ve ever heard. Clichéd lyrical themes reoccur with the regularity of heartburn after bad Mexican food. Even at this late juncture in their careers, it’s seemingly impossible for HAMMERFALL to make it through an entire song without a mention of “swords”, “templars” or “hammers”. Musically, HAMMERFALL is just as clichéd as they are lyrically. The musical performances contained on Chapter V suggest that the band members were on auto-pilot when they laid down their tracks.

So, what’s changed? Why did the first two HAMMERFALL CDs kick my ass, while the last three have met with my disdain? I think there are three reasons. First, my tastes have changed. With all the Metal now available to choose from, I’m more discriminating. I tend to seek out music that’s challenging and original. Secondly, HAMMERFALL seems to have lost their passion. Those first two CDs have an underlying intensity and even an aggression, that’s missing from subsequent releases. Perhaps somewhere between struggling to get a record deal and playing Wacken, making music went from being their life’s dream to being a job. Finally, Patrik Räfling left. His drumming on the first two CDs was superb. He was the engine that made HAMMERFALL go. Whether HAMMERFALL consciously decided to soften their sound or it was directly attributed to Patrik’s departure, I couldn’t say. What I do know is, you don’t have to look very long or very hard, to find something more entertaining than Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken.

Rating: 5/10
Reviewer: General Zod

I stupidly traded away my Twisted Tower Dire literally 2 weeks before becoming enamored with the US cult metal scene. I'll be on the look out for their CDs if I can get 'em cheap.

I happily traded away my Hammerfall CDs and have never looked back. (I had their first and third -- "Renegade", could quite possibly be the worst metal album of all time). Their second is their best, but it's like saying the smell of dog shit > cat shit.

Other than Nocturnal Rites, Sweden is just not very good when it comes to delivering good power metal. Cue oxymoron jokes. :loco:

JayKeeley said:
I happily traded away my Hammerfall CDs and have never looked back. (I had their first

And I happily bought it off you, heheheh! :D

Funnily enough Crimson Thunder and Renegade are my favourite Hammerfall albums, in that order...the catchy, upbeat stuff really works for me. This new album didn't really sink in first time, I just think I need to get my lazy arse back to it more cos it definately got a thumbs up, even if it ain't as distinct as Crimson Thunder. Just need to get used to it...

Oh yeah, I forgot you ended up with them. Well it's good that someone's making use of them. Have you heard "Legacy of Kings"? It's much more speed metal than mid-paced.

Also, Hammerfall are the sort of band that probably go over well live. I saw them supporting Dio and they were average, but their live album is passable.

Ayeka - have you heard "The Sacred Talisman" by Nocturnal Rites? YOU WOULD LOVE IT.

JayKeeley said:
Oh yeah, I forgot you ended up with them. Well it's good that someone's making use of them. Have you heard "Legacy of Kings"? It's much more speed metal than mid-paced.

Ohhh yeah, I got the lot. Legacy is one of those albums I'll play to hear a few favourite songs from. I like Heeding The Call, the title track, At The End Of The Rainbow (or whatever it's called) and Back To Back...especially Back To Back!! :headbang:

Ayeka - have you heard "The Sacred Talisman" by Nocturnal Rites? YOU WOULD LOVE IT.

Not at all. Your recommendations have always gone down well before, so I guess it's about time I made a proper mental note about these guys, keep hearing about them. What was the other band you recommended with a singer that sounds like a young Dio/Coverdale?

Ayeka said:
Your recommendations have always gone down well before, so I guess it's about time I made a proper mental note about these guys, keep hearing about them.

Yes, just hunt down "Sacred Talisman". Trust me.

What was the other band you recommended with a singer that sounds like a young Dio/Coverdale?

His name is Jorn Lande and he's appeared with both ARK and MASTERPLAN. He's probably one of the best clean vocalists on the scene right now. Personally, I love Ark -- check "Burn the Sun" -- but I think you might prefer Masterplan (check out their s/t debut). Here is their band line up:

Jorn Lande (vocals), Roland Grapow (guitar), Jan S. Eckert (bass), Axel Mackenrott (keyboards), Uli Kusch (drums)

You should at least recognize the names of the guitarist and drummer. :) Throw Jorn Lande into the mix and you end up with something pretty damn special.