HammerFall in NYC this past Sunday

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
What a great show!

This was my third time seeing them (1st was in 2002 supporting Dio, 2nd was in 2005 headlining over Edguy) and this was by far the tightest they have sounded. New guitarist Pontus Norgren was right on the money and did not miss a lick. Joacim proved to be quite the funny frontman talking to the audience throughout the night, not quite as funny as Tobias from Edguy but funny nonetheless. He asked about metal in the 80's at one point which got a big response and then mentioned grunge to which the audience started booing then he said "Well where the fuck is grunge right now!" and everyone went nuts. He mentioned that the band will be playing ProgPower in Atlanta this fall. He also said he can't promise but they will try to do 1 or 2 dates around ProgPower and if they are able to NYC will be number one on their list. I was surprised with the amount of people there. I am bad with guessing numbers but I would say that Irving Plaza was three quarters of the way full. Setlist was as follows...

01. Punish and Enslave
02. Crimson Thunder
03. Renegade
04. Hallowed Be My Name
05. Last Man Standing
06. Blood Bound
07. Life Is Now
08. Heeding The Call
09. Rebel Inside
10. The Dragon Lies Bleeding
11. Between Two Worlds
12. Any Means Necessary
13. Stronger Than All
14. Riders Of The Storm
15. Secrets
16. Let The Hammer Fall
17. Hearts On Fire

If you get a chance to see them on this tour please do so and I am sure they are going to absolutely slay Atlanta come the fall.

Nice, there are a couple songs on that setlist from their older material that I haven't seen them perform live yet. :) I really wish they would perform Trailblazers, though.

Can't wait for the Chicago show on the Ides of March! :D

Worcester was great. A normal amount of people there, and a very solid performance from the band. It was my first time seeing them but of course there'll be another opportunity in September :) I was very happy to hear Last Man Standing, which I love but had no expectation of seeing them actually play.

Wish I could have gone to that. Had an invite, but was already going out in NYC Sat. and Mon. Just couldn't do three in a row. T'aint like ProgPower. Thanks for the review, though.

Thanks for the review. That is a RIPPING setlist! Nice to see Renegade on there. They have not played that the last two times I saw them.

What a great show!

This was my third time seeing them (1st was in 2002 supporting Dio, 2nd was in 2005 headlining over Edguy) and this was by far the tightest they have sounded. New guitarist Pontus Norgren was right on the money and did not miss a lick. Joacim proved to be quite the funny frontman talking to the audience throughout the night, not quite as funny as Tobias from Edguy but funny nonetheless. He asked about metal in the 80's at one point which got a big response and then mentioned grunge to which the audience started booing then he said "Well where the fuck is grunge right now!" and everyone went nuts. He mentioned that the band will be playing ProgPower in Atlanta this fall. He also said he can't promise but they will try to do 1 or 2 dates around ProgPower and if they are able to NYC will be number one on their list. I was surprised with the amount of people there. I am bad with guessing numbers but I would say that Irving Plaza was three quarters of the way full. Setlist was as follows...

01. Punish and Enslave
02. Crimson Thunder
03. Renegade
04. Hallowed Be My Name
05. Last Man Standing
06. Blood Bound
07. Life Is Now
08. Heeding The Call
09. Rebel Inside
10. The Dragon Lies Bleeding
11. Between Two Worlds
12. Any Means Necessary
13. Stronger Than All
14. Riders Of The Storm
15. Secrets
16. Let The Hammer Fall
17. Hearts On Fire

If you get a chance to see them on this tour please do so and I am sure they are going to absolutely slay Atlanta come the fall.

No "Legacy Of Kings"? Hmm, maybe they'll play it at ProgPower. That's one of my favorite songs by them, and I thought they always played it live.

"Riders Of The Storm" would be nice too. :kickass:

Joacim mentioned that Legacy is their best selling album in the US. I am surprised, while its my favorite by them I did not think it was that available here at the time it came out. I expected Crimson to be their biggest seller here as I still regularly see that one in chain music stores.

There are a number of tracks from Legacy of Kings I'd love to see live. But it's also my favorite HF album. Apparently US HammerFall fans also really like the album, which is pretty cool. :)

I'd make up a setlist that I'd like to see at ProgPower, but it seems like an exercise in futility. I'll enjoy HammerFall's PP set no matter what they play. Joacim could belch into the mic for two hours and I'd still be happy. :lol:

A good friend of mine saw them at Jaxx Friday night. Here is the setlist from that Show:
The Metal Age
Heeding The Call
Let The Hammer Fall
Stronger Than All
Last Man Standing
Renegade
Riders Of The Storm
Hearts On Fire
Crimson Thunder
Secrets
Blood Bound
Rebel Inside
Any Means Necessary
Life Is Now
Punish & Enslave
Between Two Worlds
Hallowed Be My Name

A good friend of mine saw them at Jaxx Friday night. Here is the setlist from that Show:
The Metal Age
Heeding The Call
Let The Hammer Fall
Stronger Than All
Last Man Standing
Renegade
Riders Of The Storm
Hearts On Fire
Crimson Thunder
Secrets
Blood Bound
Rebel Inside
Any Means Necessary
Life Is Now
Punish & Enslave
Between Two Worlds
Hallowed Be My Name

Good to know they mix it up at least.

That's a pretty nice setlist if you ask me. Though I don't care for Hammerfall anymore as much, they're a fun live band. I'd have enjoyed that show.

Here's what I can remember of the setlist for the Chicago show last night, in no particular order:

Punnish and Enslave
The Dragon Lies Bleeding
Blood Bound
Any Means Necessary
The Metal Age
Legacy of Kings
Stronger than All
Something for the Ages
Crimson Thunder
Riders of the Storm
Last Man Standing
Renegade
Rebel Inside
Hallowed be my Name
Between Two Worlds
Let the Hammer Fall
Secrets
Hearts on Fire

It's a bit of a mix of the NYC and Jaxx shows, but you folks didn't get the instrumental, did you? I also think I may be forgetting a song or two, but then again, I could have the whole setlist mentioned. The night is kind of a blurr of awesome for me. I'm still riding the high from the show. :)

here's the setlist at Santa ana:

Punish and Enslave
Crimson Thunder
Renegade
Hallowed Be My Name
Heeding the Call
Blood Bound
Something for the Ages
Rebel Inside
Last Man Standing(never heard that one before)
Dragon Lies Bleeding
Any Means Necessary
The Metal Age
Riders On the Storm

Encores:

Secrets
Let the Hammer Fall
Hearts on Fire

sound wasnt too good. Joacim kept getting pissed at the sound and walking in the back. He did it for the a few verses in Blood Bound so Oscar sang some of it heh. i was hoping for Dreamland :(