Hanging Doll - Perverted Innocent EP

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Hanging Doll - Perverted Innocent EP
2004 - Self released
By Philip Whitehouse

doll2.jpg

If you haven't read the review of Hanging Doll's first EP (which should be directly below this one), then you should really consider reading through that one first before continuing with this review. This is partly because I'm a hopeless narcissist that wants you to digest everything I type, but mainly because it's important to understand the progression this band has made in a short space of time.

Between the initial demo EP and this recording, Hanging Doll have been through several changes - a glance through their history on their official website reveals that either in late 2003 or early 2004, internal wrangling between the members caused the band to go on an extended hiatus from activity. Shortly before their planned reformation in March 2004, bass player Rachel Lilley tragically took her own life. After some soul-searching and with the blessing of Rachel's family, Hanging Doll recruited new bassist Benjamin Craig and continued with the group.

I mention this to give some indication of the level of personal growth that must have occured behind the scenes before this recording, because this EP is a musical symbol of that maturity. I could be way off the mark, but the level of introspection and sheer emotional intensity of this release could, to these ears, only be a response to the tragedy endured by the band. Witness the absolute masterpiece that is the second track of this EP, 'Not About Revenge' - a majestic, swelling epic of a song that manages to encompass sounds of grief, hope and longing withing it's 4:47 running time. Beginning with a gentle, pleasant clean-guitar melody reminiscent of Creed's 'One Last Breath' but without the mawkish feel, Emily's gorgeous multi-layered vocals come in to create an introduction that is breathtaking in its gentle beauty. When the bass, drums and distorted guitars kick in, it's a singularly uplifting moment adding real power to an already potent song. The brief lead part that leads the song to its conclusion adds the final emotional surge to what has the potential to be an absolute classic song.

The rest of the EP doesn't disappoint either - the band sounds together in a way that they never did on the previous release. The stabs of bass, guitar and drums that open 'Last Straw Drawn' are both a punchy and in-your-face way to open a track, and a passage emblematic of the band's improved internal communication - every element supports the rest to create an affecting, involving listening experience that far surpasses the vapid crooning of Evanesence while encompassing elements of thrash (the stabs of faster-paced palm muted riffage in 'No Doubt To Depart', itself an oddly prophetic title in the wake of Gwen Stefani's move to a solo career... okay, not funny), Sabbath (evident throughout the ballsy detuned heaviness) and more melodic, emotional bands. The player's increased confidence with their instruments is evident too - the drumming is tighter, the riffage more adventurous, the bass more likely to create counter-melodies, the vocals more up-front and more passionate.

Mix all of this with a sterling production courtesy of Andy Faulkner (who hs produced work by Bolt Thrower and Shy), and you have what is essentially the most impressive release by any unsigned band in the last few years. I firmly believe that if this band isn't snapped up by a canny record label in the next 12 months, the world will have truly gone mad. And you can quote me on that.

9.5/10

Hanging Doll's Official Website