Hanoi Rocks - Twelve Shots On The Rocks

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Hanoi Rocks - Twelve Shots On The Rocks
2003 - Liquor And Poker Music
By Philip Whitehouse

Go to the Liquor And Poker Music website.

The Darkness are about to be shown well and truly where to get off with their post-modern, kitschy take on old-school, early 80s hard rock, because the main duo behind legendary cock-rockers Hanoi Rocks, Michael Monroe and Andy McCoy, have finally buried the hatchet and reformed Hanoi Rocks with a new line-up (necessary really, since drummer Razzle was killed in 1984 when Motley Crue frontman Vince Neil totalled his car with Razzle in the passenger seat...). The result? That depends on what you thought of Hanoi Rocks first time around.

Considering that this particular reviewer was still learning to talk properly when Hanoi Rocks split first time round, I don't have too much experience with their old sound - but I do know that any old-school band with the status that Hanoi Rocks achieved in the eyes of their hardcore fans have to be very, very careful when recording a comeback album. Progression is a no-no. So, it will probably come as some relief to find that Hanoi Rocks are doing what they did best - 80s style hard rock, with occasional saxophone breaks and a general, hell-raising, good-time attitude. It does seem, however, that the group are intent to build on their past - there are hints of Guns 'N' Roses in the scattergun riffage of 'Whatcha Want' and the piano-led, symphonic ending to 'In my Darkest Moment', which hints that Hanoi Rocks are building on the sound of bands who they themselves paved the way for. Also, during the cathartic outro to lead-off track 'Obscured', the singer yells out song titles of past Hanoi Rocks classics in the manner of the afflicted during an exorcism session.

A welcome throwback to the days before oversized keychains, feel-my-pain angsty whingeings and boring-as-fuck hipster shoegazing bands, and a welcome return from some 80s legends.

8/10