Hard Rock: 1990-2010 The Classics

oldboy

Oct 8, 2007
A while back I started a thread asking for recommendations for recently released Hard Rock cd's. I did not know that there was so much good stuff out there, and thought that after 1990 or so Hard Rock was dead so I concentrated on collecting Power Metal. Because of that thread I discovered Kissin' Dynamite, Reckless Love, Crashdiet, Line of Fire, Houston, and several others. Can you guys give an idea of the best Hard Rock/ Melodic Metal releases from 1990-2010? Chances are I missed 99.9% of the good stufff released. Thanks.

With that date range there's a whole heap of disks which are worth hearing. Here's a few that I can think of which i personally love.

Hardcore Superstar - Dreamin' in a casket
Gotthard - Lipservice
House of Lords - World Upside Down, Come to my Kingdom
Hardline - Double Eclipse
Eclipse - Are you ready to rock? (you absolutely need this immediately!)
Ten - Babylon, Spellbound
Steelhouse Lane - Slaves of the New World.
TNT - My Religion
Fate - V
Any Axel Rudi Pell - though it's pretty close to power metal sometimes but let's call it hard rock. Probably try Mystica.
Any Jorn solo.
Any Astral Doors.
Starbreaker - st
Harem Scarem - Weight of the World, Higher
Shinedown - The Sound of Madness. More modern hard rock but an absolutely mindblowing release - a must buy!
Alter Bridge - Blackbird, ABIII - both kick ass.

There's tons more but that should keep you going for a while

As for Goodbye Thrill, either the self titled (2007), or Outrageous (2010).

Here's my favorite, from the self-titled release:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool, lots of good stuff so far. Keep them coming. Thanks.
I have seen a band called Jaded Heart mentioned in the forum several times before. Anyone familiar with them? What album is considered their best?

I'll put in a plug for Scorpions' Humanity: Hour I album (2007). I hadn't paid any attention to them since Savage Amusement in 1988 and I was blown away when I went to their 2008 tour and they played these songs. Picked up the album the next day and the whole thing is excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really depends on what you're into. Do you like keyboard-driven, sugary melodic rock, or do you like sleazy, guitar-driven rock with attitude? There's actually a ton of variety in the hard rock scene, so there's stuff that you'll like and probably stuff you don't like.

I prefer the sugary stuff, and for that, it's hard to beat Brother Firetribe. Or you could just buy anything blind from Frontiers Records. They've been releasing a string of great melodic rock albums for the last few years. Allen/Lande, Issa, First Signal, Vega, Kiske/Somerville, Two Fires, Stan Bush, and Pretty Maids were this year alone, and all gems.

Very cool, lots of good stuff so far. Keep them coming. Thanks.
I have seen a band called Jaded Heart mentioned in the forum several times before. Anyone familiar with them? What album is considered their best?

Best album in my opinion is "Helluva Time". My 2nd would be "Trust" which the video below is from.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wswDPECB75M&[/ame]

It really depends on what you're into. Do you like keyboard-driven, sugary melodic rock, or do you like sleazy, guitar-driven rock with attitude? There's actually a ton of variety in the hard rock scene, so there's stuff that you'll like and probably stuff you don't like.

I prefer the sugary stuff, and for that, it's hard to beat Brother Firetribe. Or you could just buy anything blind from Frontiers Records. They've been releasing a string of great melodic rock albums for the last few years. Allen/Lande, Issa, First Signal, Vega, Kiske/Somerville, Two Fires, Stan Bush, and Pretty Maids were this year alone, and all gems.

I like them both. From Houston to Crashdiet. If it is well done hard rock/melodic metal chances are that I will like it, regardlles of sub-genre. I did buy the last Pretty Maids which I though was very good. I'll check your other recommendations too. Thanks!

The album "Coup De Grace" from Treat which was recommended by Glenn in his "Best of 2010" thread would definitely rate in this vein.

Also, probably Outloud, M.ill.ion, Leverage and H.E.A.T. come to mind...