Harmony of Lies on the radio

metalprof

Ken Luther
Mar 11, 2005
Valparaiso, IN
faculty.valpo.edu
FYI - Harmony of Lies got some airplay on my show this past week. I don't know if anyone was listening, but the radio waves are now out of our atmosphere and making their way to Alpha Centauri! :) Ken

Beauty in the Beast is a heavy metal radio show broadcast live on WVLP, 98.3FM, Valparaiso, IN every Wednesday from 10pm-midnight. The show is then rebroadcast the following Sunday at midnight. Power and progressive metal are the emphasis of the show.

01/18/06

Featured CD: Eden's Fall - Harmony of Lies

CD / TITLE / CD / LABEL

HOUR 1

Eden's Fall / Lost Again / Harmony of Lies / (Nothingheart Records)
Dark Angel / Seemingly Endless Time / Act III / (Geffen)
Iron Maiden / Powerslave / Powerslave / (Capitol)
Symphony X / Communion and the Oracle / V / (Metal Blade)
Arwen / By My Own Sight / Illusions / (Arise Records)
Threshold / Choices / Critical Mass / (Inside Out)
Eden's Fall / Dead Thought Matrix / Harmony of Lies / (Nothingheart Records)
Testament / Time Is Coming / Practice What You Preach / (Atlantic)
Judas Priest / Bloodstone / Screaming for Vengeance / (Columbia)
Rage / Seven Deadly Sins / Unity / (SPV)

HOUR 2

Genesis / The Music Box / Nursery Cryme / (Atlantic)
Vox Tempus / Escape / In the Eye of Time / (FTI Records)
Balance of Power / Shelter Me / Perfect Balance / (Nightmare Records)
Eden's Fall / Chemical Dreams / Harmony of Lies / (Nothingheart Records)
Armored Saint / The Truth Always Hurts / Symbol of Salvation / (Metal Blade)
Edguy / Falling Down / Theater of Salvation / (AFM)
Helloween / The Departed (Sun Is Going Down) / The Dark Ride / (Nuclear Blast)
Pyramid / Art Takes Word / Gaudi's Legacy / (Locomotive)
Poverty's No Crime / Enter Nowhere / The Atlantic Years / (T&T)
Eden's Fall / Liquid Christ / Harmony of Lies / (Nothingheart Records)

Yeah, thanks Ken! You rule! Pretty cool setlist. Makes me want to drive to Valparaiso on Wednesday night just to listen to your show ;) We don't have a radio station worth a damn in Chicago :(

This has kind of been bugging me... why do you use mixed by dan swano and mastered by james murphy as a selling point? I guess people will be more compelled to check it out since they are involved but still, the whole thing is pretty lame.... The album can stand on its own, people shouldn't be so blind to that kind of stuff. They're all looking for flashy labels instead of substance! If I got mixed or mastered by swano or murphy, I'd have it in the little text of the credits section of the album booklet only. ;)

Sorry that you think “the whole thing is pretty lame....”, but the fact of the matter is that the people that we hired to mix and master our CD are a selling point. In fact they are a HUGE selling point. To a lot of people, including myself, the production of a metal CD is as important as the music itself. There are countless bands that I would have never heard of if they weren’t mixed by famous producers. When I pick up a CD, one of the first things I do is listen to the quality of the production and look to see who mixed it. Likewise, if a CD sounds like crap, I just can’t get into it as much (no matter how great the music may be). This is the reason that it took us 6 years between our demo and our debut CD. We knew that our material was strong, but if it did not sound as good as high-end professional mixes, it would be ignored. The tracks from the CD are actually the third time that we recorded them in a professional studio. The first two attempts were completely scraped due to poor performances and/or bad sound quality.

When it finally came time to have the CD mixed and mastered, we got quotes from all of the “big name” producers you could imagine. We choose Dan and James because they were really easy to work with and of course did an incredible job. You have to keep in mind, we are an independent band and this CD was completely financed by the guys in the band. We all have normal jobs and expenses and we really had to struggle to come up with the financing to release a CD on this level. Mixing and mastering costs a lot of money, but we knew it would be worth it in the long run.

After we announced who we were working with, our exposure grew exponentially. People started to associate Eden’s Fall with “that band that was mixed by Dan Swanö and mastered by James Murphy”. Having their names on our CD and in our press releases is what made people take notice. This opened a lot of doors for us for press and distribution and has really helped with sales. Without this association, we would just be a local band from Chicago with a self-financed CD that you could buy at our shows and on our website. We agree that “The album can stand on its own”, but that doesn’t do us any good if no one gives it a chance.

The whole point of this band is to make music that we like and hopefully other fans of metal will like as well. We do not have the backing of a record label or the means to afford massive advertising. Yet, we strive to be more than just a local metal band. So, we do what we can to make quality music and create a buzz in the metal underground and hope that things spread by word of mouth.