Has anyone heard Karl Sanders' solo album?

J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
You know, Karl Sanders, the guy from Nile. He's got a solo album called Saurian Meditation, that's suppose to be Egyptian Ambient stuff. I think the official release date is tomorrow on Relapse. David Vincent is a guest on it.

6510_216.jpg

fixed the pic.

here's what the Relapse description is:

Having long been the driving creative force behind critically-acclaimed Egyptian-tinged heavy music act Nile, Karl Sanders has a deft appreciation and insight of Middle Eastern-based music. SAURIAN MEDITATION, Sanders' debut solo release, expounds on the mystical sounds and hypnotic passages that he often weaves within the music of Nile. Its exotic instrumentation and rich textures induce mesmeric passageways to the imagination, seducing the listener with alluring waves of sound.

This should be interesting.

Still, I always find it funny that someone named "Karl Sanders" could be attached to ethnic stuff like this. It's a bit like "Billy Bob Ewing's Sounds of the African Zumboofoo Tribe", a classic in its own right. :loco:

The Nile musical interludes are one of the bigger selling points for that band. Some of it is downright scary, especially the stuff on Black Seeds.

anyone else ever actually get this? its pretty sick. way chill, but its great for smokin some herb or for puttin on as sleeping music.

no, never did get this. I bet it good, but I'm not much into that ambient stuff. then again, I do dig Lord Wind.

It's ok. Doesn't really capture my attention. It's like an album of Nile death metal interludes and I guess I've learned that the two shouldn't necessarily be mutually exclusive.

I was listening to In Their Darkened Shrines last night and was reminded how badass Nile are.

But I like the atmosphere they provide as combined with their death metal (like that ending fade-out of Sarcophagus which is probably my favorite Nile moment), so I'm not sure if I'll pick this up yet.

Wow, so Karl Sanders can really let the emotion flow when he wants. He reaches Dave Gilmour heights in "Of the Sleep of Ishtar"...seriously, that outro solo is like the dark side of the moon pyramids.