10. Powers That Be

Label: Earache Records
Release date: 2002
Artist site:
http://www.hateeternal.com/
Reviewer: Papa Josh
Review added on:May 7th, 2005
9.5/10

When the news came to me that Erik Rutan would be leaving MORBID ANGEL to concentrate on HATE ETERNAL, I was devastated to say the least. To me, Erik had become a big part of MORBID ANGEL over the years, but as MORBID ANGEL is Trey Azagthoth’s baby, HATE ETERNAL is Rutan’s. If I could describe HATE ETERNAL in one word, it would be unrelenting. While listening to King Of All Kings, I could hear the sheer determination and drive in the delivery of this short but very powerful slab of death metal. Once again, Rutan takes the producer’s chair and does not fail to impress. Every note, drum and growl are perfectly audible, an obvious labor of love. Truly astounding, however, is Derek “One Take” Roddy, drummer extraordinaire. This guy is sick!! His drums take a beating throughout this entire death metal opus! Looking for standout tracks? How about “Servants of the Gods,” The Obscure Terror,” or the title track for starters?

A review of this album wouldn’t be complete though without mentioning Rutan’s fluid lead work. His solos are definitely something I look forward to when I hear a MORBID ANGEL tune and here they are just as tasty. Mentioning specifics would be a waste considering the short length of this release, and besides, don’t wanna ruin all of the surprises! Let me sum it up by saying if you love the new age of brutal death metal you really do need to get out and get this cd. Overall, it is more textured, varied and I’ll use the word one more time, unrelenting, than its predecessor Conquering the Throne. Highly Recommended.

PJ