Hatebreed - Perseverance

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Hatebreed - Perseverance
Universal Records - 2002
By Philip Whitehouse

Go to the Hatebreed web site.

Perseverance is an apt title for this, the metalcore wrecking crew's third full-length. They've been struggling agaisnt their detractors in the scene, against their difficulties with former label Victory Records, and against the apathy that faces them in the mainstream. But that just seems to fuel their anger, and the album is all the better for it.

Hatebreed explode out of the speakers from the first second with the defiant chant of 'You wanna see me fail - you'll never get your chance!', and the furious pace doesn't let up through a second. This is intense, pumelling music from start to finish. The riffs are stripped-down, intense and as heavy as anything you'll have ever heard, while Jamey Jasta's vocals could strip the paint from walls.

The closest to a respite this album gets is the feedback-soaked 'Bloodsoaked Memories', but even that is imbued with a feeling of righteous indignation that is present through the whole album. Slayer's Kerry King even crops up on 'Final Prayer' to provide some guest vocals and two impressive solos - probably the one and only time you'll hear a solo in a Hatebreed song.

Hatebreed have, in all respects, wiped the floor with their competitors with this record. Their anger is real and unforced, and they've chanelled it into making the most incendiary metalcore album I've ever heard. Can't wait for them to tour.

10/10

aaahhh! can't wait to get my hands on the new album! hatebreed is killer no matter what the fucking critics say about them sellin' out or whatever. funny thing about these critics is...they diss hatebreed but are all praises for slipknot!...whatever...:)