Hatebreeder?

Born2Lose

New Metal Member
Sep 28, 2006
Well, this is basically a question for anyone who is a major Bodom fan. I have been listening to Bodom for quite a long time now, and i listen to mainly Melodic Death Metal.

Anyways, my question was why is Hatebreeder almost every Bodom fan's favorite album? It's definately not mine, and i don't seem to understand why everyone thinks it's so godly. Yes it's a good album, but not even close to the best Bodom album.

Overall, i would have to say that Follow The Reaper, is by far my favorite Bodom album. No other Bodom album can compare to it, or even come close for that matter. Follow The Reaper is a masterpiece, and my favorite album of all time. I don't think there is on way you could make that album any better.

What is your favorite Bodom album? and why do you like it so much? Or explain to me why most Bodom fans like Hatebreeder the most?

I would say that most people heard Hatebreeder first and that is what got them started on it. Personally, I did not become hooked until I heard Tokyo Warheart (the uber-awesome live album), which showed me that Bodom was for real live and then some. Hatebreeder has their most classic songs, many of which they still play (Silent Night, Downfall). Eventually, Follow the Reaper became my favorite because it just does so much more than any Bodom Album ever, the production is crazy, the songs are all complex (Mask of Sanity, Children of Decadence, Kissing the Shadow), and the guitars are just so perfect sounding. If you like FTR, make sure you check out Sinergy "Suicide By My Side" it was written back during the FTR days when Alexi was still in the groove.

Why does it matter, it's an opinion for christ sake. I'd say most people like Follow the Reaper. Who cares what other people like, listen to what you want because you like it.

<-Warheart-> said:
Why does it matter, it's an opinion for christ sake. I'd say most people like Follow the Reaper. Who cares what other people like, listen to what you want because you like it.

True...

By the way, "Hatebreeder" is my favourite album of Children of Bodom 'cause of the sound, the style they used, just the song themselves and the atmosphere they create "in your mind" (listening to a song that you like is as it was a travel made with the fantasy of your mind, no need to fly away really)and many other factors which is hard and too long to explain... but there is also another thing: those personal moods and personality that make people different, hence having always different reasons to like a thing (in this case "Hatebreeder") rather than another.

(ps: and anyway "Follow The Reaper" is my second favourite album :p)

Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper are usually very close in people's mind. But why I prefer Hatebreeder is the "neo-classical" way of utilisation and the string used in it. Janne was using more "real" sound than "synth" sound.

Hatebreeder pwns, it was the perfect album, and still is. Follow the reaper doesn't have close to as many masterpieces as hatebreeder, still a good album though.

Alachi said:
I told it to Jaska.
he said many fans thinks that Hatebreeder is the best album, me too:)
And Janne said he can't understand why so many fans think that. In fact he doesn't even own a copy of the album and can't remember all songs of it.

taste change, even for the band, even for the one who wrote the song, it is normal, of course.

But i like Hatebreeder because the sound is perfect, the songwriting is mind-blowing (the riffs, the melody, the structure of the song), every song is different from the other, it is full Bodom, IMHO of course.

Fetzer: there's a Warmen video! I have to check that out.

Hatebreeder isn't my favorite album;FTR is. HB is a really good album but it's my 2nd to last favorite album. BUt i can imagine why a lot of people love that album. Whenever people hear the name COB, they'll immediately think of FTR and HB. They both have the same style. The way the song COB was structured was really good. THe guitaring is amazing and has one of the best solos.

^it's not necro-classical! LOL, if it was like that, it would be so cool to hear a lot of melody with something necro!

i like hatebreeder (listening to it now) but i also like follow the reaper (seeming to the the common consensus in this thread), but then again i also have it in the capasity of my heart to like most of there tracks/albums so i realy think it dosent matter it being a matter of opinion an all....