Have you ever bought an album on the strength of its front cover?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Be honest!

I bought "Once Bitten Twice Shy" by Great White (when I was 17 or something) just because I liked the front cover. :lol: Those pair of legs are unbelievable!

I completely have. I'm of the opinion that in all but the rarest of cases, you CAN tell a book by its cover in the world of metal. It's pretty hard to not be able to guess whether something is Viking, black, death, power, etc. metal. If you *really* like a genre, then there you go. I happen to LOVE Viking metal more than any other, so I buy things that look like they might be Viking metal (occasionally, mind you).

That was how I discovered Helstar - happened upon Nosferatu in the bargain bin way back when. The cover and album title were right up my alley (I have a strange fascination with vampires) so I bought it. And was pleasantly surprised - I didn't expect to like it so much.

Alicia

Yeah Stratovarius' Infinite. I kept seeing it at my local record store, thought it was cool, and with a name like Stratovarius, they must be good. I'm glad i bought it because they introduced me to this whole euro-power metal type thing.

Originally posted by JayKeeley
Be honest!

I bought "Once Bitten Twice Shy" by Great White (when I was 17 or something) just because I liked the front cover. :lol: Those pair of legs are unbelievable!

:lol: :lol: Same here for the same reasons.

Markgugs: judging the CD by its cover unfortunately doesn't always work. Check out Annihilator Carnival Diablous cover. Looks like a Death or Doom metal CD; but it's any thing but.

I bought Invocator's "Weave the Apocalypse" because it had Dan Seagrave cover art. I've now got most of the CDs he did the cover art for (obviously this has nothing to do with prog or power metal for those who know) and have never been truly disappointed by an album his art is on (only slightly because of Malevolent Creation's "Stillborn" and Suffocation's "Breeding the Spawn", both because they each have a poorer overall sound than the previous release by each band, not necessarily the music). The most notable ones I'm still missing are Pestilence's "Testimony of the Ancients" and Gorguts's "Erosion of Sanity".

Ryan

I have to jump in and say yes also. The ones that come to mind first were King Diamond "Abilgail", Pretty Maids "Future World",Kamelot "The Fourth Legacy", and both of the Elvira Madigan "Black Arts " & "Witches “Salem 1692 vs 2001”

I'm with imajika...i bought Kamelot's T4L just for the cover...not just that heart-shaped ass, but also the medeival vibe. I used to buy CDs all the time (especially death metal) just for the cover...now I have too long of a wishlist and too little money!

Originally posted by Bad Girl Tess
Nope!
But that answer changes the instant DT puts out an album with JP ONLY on the cover.. yummay ;)

I definately have bought CDs based on judging the cover... however, if DT puts out an album with ONLY James LaBrie and John Myung on the cover, I wouldn't even bother hesitating or counting my $$$!

I second that "yummay"! :worship: