Have you seen (Heavy Metal) Louder than Life

kittybeast

Apr 20, 2004
Always Somewhere!
anyone seen this movie? I netflixed it and it's on the way. Just wondering what your thoughts were. it came out in 10/2006. (can't find a pic to link)

Heavy Metal: Louder Than Life: Disc 1

Hey Kitty, I rented it and it is actually quite good, maybe the best metal doc I've seen. It was made by VH1, i think, so if you saw their "metal documentary," that's what it actually is. But if you haven't, it has interviews with:

Dee Schnieder, Dave Mustaine, Scott Ian, Philthy animal Taylor, Kerry King, and tons of other people from all walks of metal: Hair, classic, nu, etc.

It's actually really well done, and covers a lot of what you might call the 'Talking points," that concern metal. There's a chronology that starts with Sabbath and Zep (with cool footage), and runs up through Deep Purple, you know....and on and on. It's edited well, and though it does have a lot of the same old same old, it has some surprisingly good interviews, and some fairly intellegent takes on the psyche of the heavy metal kid. You'll see. Again, pretty damned good.

Make sure you watch the extras, as there are a bunch of interview scenes they couldn't fit in, most notably (I thought) one with Philthy Taylor in which he talks about how he tried all these different sound monitors back in his Motorhead days. He went through this whole process of trying to get a good live mix to play too, and then explains that he bought the best headphones (heavy ones) money could by, turned nothing but Eddie's guitar up in the mix.....only to find out to his dismay that...."it didin't make a single bit of difference....I could still only hear Lemmy."

Ha. Lemmy plays loud.

There were lots of good insights in it actually, like Scott Ian talking about how, for him, British Steel was the first album by a proto-metal band in which all shreds of the blues were finally extracted, and therefore the first honest to goodness, straight on heavy metal album.....a good point.

Anyway, it's good, and I would have posted about it here before, but I assumed everybody must have seen it. As a last aside, the extras are probably on the second disc....but I'm pretty sure the first disc had the complete doc.

It was good, but I liked A Headbangers journey better because it had more stuff that is more my generation. I like Swedish Death and Black metal and Louder Than Life is really more of the oldschool stuff. With the only exception being Napalm Death.

It was good, but I liked A Headbangers journey better because it had more stuff that is more my generation. I like Swedish Death and Black metal and Louder Than Life is really more of the oldschool stuff. With the only exception being Napalm Death.
Both will appeal to me, one day I shall see them and :headbang: