Headphones and Ear Infections

schust

Oct 24, 2007
soundcloud.com
Anybody else ever get an ear infection from wearing the ole' cans too long??

I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD 280s. Scared to shit to put them back on in fear of getting another ear infection.

Anybody find a workable solution for this? Maybe there's a pair of headphones out there designed to let the ear "breathe" a little more? Maybe some tips/tricks that might minimize the chances? I'm all ears.. (pun not intended.. ;) )

How do you know that it was the headphones that caused your ear infection?

Take more breaks seems to be the obvious answer.

That. Or maybe using open back headphones like AKG K701/702/etc. Notice that these don't provide sound isolation.

Also, try to clean your headphones constantly. That can probably help

That. Or maybe using open back headphones like AKG K701/702/etc. Notice that these don't provide sound isolation.

Also, try to clean your headphones constantly. That can probably help

Yea, for awhile i was cleaning them, but got lazy... i guess that'll teach me..

thanks for the idea of the open back headphone. may investigate that. the Sennheiser's completely encapsulate the ear.. a massive petri dish for sure...

I'd also go with the Open Back type Headphones. I used to have HD280 and I just hated them. Maybe they were defective, but they just have 0 bottom and boosted highs. I was able to put my hand on a Frequency Response curve of the HD280 and you can indeed see a cut on lower frequencies and a boost on higher frequencies.

That beind said, I just purchased Audio Technica open back ATHAD500X and I am very satisfied. They seem to be on sale on Amazon.com at the moment for half the price of what I paid (though I purchased on Amazon.ca which always a shit ton more expensive).

If you have the budget, there are more expensive versions. The 700x and the 900x I think.

The sound is great, the comfort also. And, you can definitely feel that they "breath" more. Shouldn't sweat in those.

I'd also go with the Open Back type Headphones. I used to have HD280 and I just hated them. Maybe they were defective, but they just have 0 bottom and boosted highs. I was able to put my hand on a Frequency Response curve of the HD280 and you can indeed see a cut on lower frequencies and a boost on higher frequencies.

That beind said, I just purchased Audio Technica open back ATHAD500X and I am very satisfied. They seem to be on sale on Amazon.com at the moment for half the price of what I paid (though I purchased on Amazon.ca which always a shit ton more expensive).

If you have the budget, there are more expensive versions. The 700x and the 900x I think.

The sound is great, the comfort also. And, you can definitely feel that they "breath" more. Shouldn't sweat in those.

Thanks for the head's up! Looks like $73 here.. They look like a pretty good deal. I usually check SWEETWATER - and they have some cheaper versions of the open backs - but not this particular model.