Heavy drum sound - is it good?

domingooo

Sep 2, 2010
hi guys

I came up with this drum sound (ola's midi track) and now i'm totally confuse... sometimes sounds perfect to me and sometimes sounds like shit.. i guess my ears needs vacations

what do you guys think?

please be honest,,., if it sucks... then tell just that!

Thanks in advance..

Last edited by a moderator:
It really depends on what you would use it for to be honest! The overheads have way too many highs for my taste, but if I listen to the Alien-album from Strapping Young Lad for example, that album has cymbalshimmer up the ass and I know many people who think it sounds cool, so maybe that's what you are going for?
I really think the kickdrum needs a high-pass filter though. The subs make my windows shake :D

I agree with there being too many highs in the overheads. I think even the snare has a bit too many highs.
And the bass drum's transient feels a bit long.
Other than that the tone of the drums are brutal.

i'll check those issues

Which freq you ussually set up the hi pass filter for the kick??

Could the kicks trasient seems long because it has to much room? or do you think is a direct sample issue, like to much resonance

Thank you guys for your time and advises

I usually end up putting a hipass between 20-40hz with a fairly steep slope, but it's heavily dependant on the rest of the mix; especially the bass guitar. If you want the bassguitar to handle the sub-lows, you may have to hi-pass the kick a bit higher to make some room, but if that's not the case, pick something that sounds right to you. Reference to songs of a similar genre to get a rough idea of what to aim for.

Speed of the song plays a part too by the way. For slow heavy doom metal, I wouldn't mind a thundering deep kick, but super fast deathmetal with 280bpm doublebass licks would be pretty overpowering very quickly ^^

What are you going to use this for btw? If you are going to record bass and guitars to it, I wouldn't spend too much time fiddling with the drumsounds before you hear them together with the rest. Even if the drums sound great by themselves, they might not work for the total picture :)

i'll check those issues

Which freq you ussually set up the hi pass filter for the kick??

Could the kicks trasient seems long because it has to much room? or do you think is a direct sample issue, like to much resonance

Thank you guys for your time and advises

It could just be my taste, I like quick tight bass drums.
I don't know for sure if it's too much room, because I only program drums.

well, honestly i`m using one ola's song to build a template... to use as starting point for my music... jus drums bass & two tracks of guitars thats it for now

this is a segment of the ola's song

Last edited by a moderator: