In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys - The Legacy
SPV Steamhammer - SPV80000922 - Nov. 8th, 2005
by Amanda J. Carlson

helloween_cover.jpg

For a band that’s been around over 20 years, Helloween can still raise the power metal torch in victory. Still a newbie to their material, I can’t really compare to their past efforts, but I can definitely say this band’s latest album holds up high on the list of recent power metal acts.

Keeper of the Seven Keys – The Legacy, is a continuation of two albums released in the late 80s, appropriately entitled Keeper of the Seven Keys pts I and II. Quite a long span of time between story lines, but better late than never for Helloween fans, I suppose. What fascinates me, though, is each disc of this two disc set starts out with a song topping 10 minutes in length. You just don’t see that in this sub-genre – unless you’re Rhapsody.

“The King for 1000 Years” starts off this musical adventure. It’s mostly powerful, straight drum beats, simple guitar riffs, but some layered vocals really bring it all together in a tight performance. We get a touch of soft female vocals before some killer fast guitar shredding. The choir of vocals are reminiscent of Rhapsody, though not quite as cheesy. The whole song comes full circle by returning to those powerful, straight drum beats, simple guitar riffs, and layered vocals. It’s like tying the knot around their 13-minute package.

The rest of disc one travels down the path of typical power metal songs until reaching “Mrs. God,” which has one of the coolest riffs of all the songs on this entire album. The chorus is pretty basic, but that first part makes it stick out in my ears. Too bad it’s not even three minutes long. I wanted more! “Silent Rain” is a nice end to disc one, with another catchy riff; catchy riffs are what really make this album, next to some amazing solos. Michael Weikath and Sascha Gerstner prove to be an excellent song writing team.

Song one of disc two, though, blows away all songs on this album. As the second epic, “Occasion Avenue” strays away from the typical characteristics of the sub-genre. Markus Grosskopf’s bass is more than just a background rhythm; his licks are a part of the song’s structure as he makes periodic solo appearances. The song as a whole has a progressive feel, not only with some odd time changes, but with its many twists and turns before finally returning to where it began. Despite the fact that the slightly annoying constant repetition of the words “Occasion Avenue” pop up throughout the entire song, it’s got plenty of headbangable moments, and the structure is one I’m truly impressed with.

Disc two stays strong, containing a great duet between singer Andi Deris and guest Candice Night on “Light the Universe.” The cheese factor arises with “Get it Up,” but it’s worth sticking with through the end, “My Life for One More Day” being a strong finish. Keeper of the Seven Keys – The Legacy has brought me much closer to being a Helloween fan. Time for me to take a time warp to the 80s to hear the first two parts!

8.5/10

Helloween Official Website
SPV Official Website