Helloween/PQ Glasgow review

Symphony

PQ member
Jan 8, 2002
Southampton, UK
www.power-quest.co.uk
Helloween + Power Quest – Glasgow QMU 12/2/06 review by James Young.

Possibly the most remote venue I’ve ever tried to get to, and one of the only bands I would do it for. I had been waiting for Helloween to play again in the UK for what seemed like an eternity, so getting to the QMU with spades of time left, I was more than up for a night of the very best of European power metal. I’ll not go into detail about the QMU’s queuing system, but it’s fair to say that it was madness bordering on the insane – the delayed door opening time saw the crowds allowed into the venue to go into the bar upstairs but not the main hall itself, forming two rabbles of moaning peeved metalheads fighting over who was first. Sensible I think not…
Once the doors (that is, to the actual hall) were opened, there was nothing the crowd needed more than forty minutes of Italy and England’s finest hybrid, Power Quest. Although Primal Fear were originally meant to be supporting for the UK stretch of the tour, I don’t think anyone gave two hoots as ‘Find My Heaven’ pounded through the Scottish speakers. I’ve seen Power Quest more times than I can remember, and every time they’ve got better and better in their performances, but are inevitably accompanied by an abysmal sound mix. Luckily, this was the best sounding I’ve ever heard the five-piece, and old favourites such as ‘Wings Of Forever’, ‘Sacred Land’, and the mandatory feel-good tune ‘Temple of Fire’ (or ‘Temple of Fiyaaaaaa’ as vocalist Alessio Garavello pronounces it) were actually done justice in a live environment for a change. A couple of tracks from the newest album ‘Magic Never Dies’ were showcased, and despite being less familiar with the material, the title track from the album was simply breathtaking, Alessio providing Tekken-style power exchanges during the soloing between keyboardist Steve Williams and the mightily fast Andrea Martongelli on guitars. The cheesy but epic ‘Hold On To Love’ followed, with Steve Williams donning a keytar and getting up front of the stage with the rest of the band; even the fans that had never heard of Power Quest before were singing along to this wee number. We were informed that the next song would be the last, but fortunately, it would be the eight minute ‘Neverworld’ – this meant synchronised headbanging from Steve Scott, Andrea and Alessio commenced, accompanied by furious drumming from Francesco Tresca, who has taken to the band like a natural. It was all over too quickly as usual, but with perfect sound, and chants of ‘Power Quest’ ringing through the university venue as the band took a farewell bow, this band is destined for big things, and this may just be the tour to do it for them.
It was pumpkin time next, and as ‘For Those About To Rock’ blared out, we all knew it was time for the veteran power metal masters Helloween. Not many bands can kick off a two and a bit hour set with a thirteen minute song, but by jiminy these Germans could – ‘King For 1000 Years’, the opener from their 2005 return-to-form Keeper Of The Seven Keys: The Legacy album saw an acoustic intro, time signature changes aplenty and hair flying in an excellent start to the night. The recognisable vocalist Andi Deris seemed to be wearing a new set of clothes for each song, and although he may have been subject to a lot of criticism from the hardcore fans who have nothing to do but moan, he more than cuts it on stage. Not that it took much to get the crowd going, with favourites such as ‘Eagle Fly Free’, ‘Hell Was Made In Heaven’ and the fifteen-odd minute epic ‘Keeper Of The Seven Keys’ flying past. The band simply put on one of the greatest stage-shows out there, bassist Markus Grosskopf providing the cheeky nuttiness, Sascha Gerstner providing a bit of sophistication and Michael Weikath looking like he couldn’t care less if he was on stage, but churning out riffs it takes wannabes a lifetime to learn. After the gentle ‘A Tale That Wasn’t Right’, we were subject to a mad drum solo, courtesy of ex-Rawhead Rexx member Dani Loeble, involving multiple drum sticks and numerous frisbees (?!). It was time for ‘Mr. Torture’ to antagonise some Mediterranean housewives next, and the crowd were clearly loving every second of it, as were the band. After ‘If I Could Fly’, off The Dark Ride album, just when you thought the Frisbee antics from earlier were a thing of the past, drummer Dani Loeble goes and does something even more bizarre. This time wielding a fake electric guitar and armed with more plectrums than you could shake a sword at, he did battle in the good name of guitar duelling with Sascha Gerstner, and it was mightily odd to say the least. After a couple more classics, ‘Power’ and ‘Future World’, with its stunning audience participation section that no band (that’s right, not even Gamma Ray) can duplicate, we were treated to the soon-to-be-classic ‘Invisible Man’, and despite running about half an hour late, the band went offstage and soon after returned for their encore. What the oddly captivating ‘Mrs. God’ lacked in a live farmyard animal for sound effects, it made up for in sheer bounciness and fun. What’s more, it was the first of three mighty numbers, followed by the classic ‘I Want Out’ and the closer ‘Dr. Stein’ to end a perfect set.
What can I say? I had high expectations, and the two bands more than delivered. In fact, I would have gone to Timbuktu for a gig of that class - sheer magnificence. Shows like that don’t come around very often, and it’s unlikely that we’ll get to witness another spectacle like that until Helloween grace these shores with their presence again. Perfect.

Thanks to james at www.live4metal.com for the review!