Helloween: Walls of Jericho/Helloween

thespectralsorrows

Metal Lord
Jun 19, 2002
Laurel, MD USA
groups.yahoo.com
The great German band Helloween celebrates their 20th anniversary this year. In 1985 Helloween released their 5-song debut self-titled EP. They followed that effort up 5 months later with the 8-song full length called Walls of Jericho. Noise records included both those efforts plus the song Judas on one CD here. The original band was Kai Hansen on lead vocals/guitar, Michael Weikath on guitar, Markus Grosskopf on bass and Ingo Schwichtenberg on drums. Recordings took place at Musiclab in Germany with Harris Johns and turned out pretty good on the low budget Noise gave the band.

Starlight has an odd radio/TV broadcast intro before powering into a speedy romp of power metal. Murderer isn’t one of the better Helloween songs, while Warrior is another speed metal killer with Kai’s clean vocal assault. Victim of Fate definitely has an early Iron Maiden feel to riffing and pacing and Kai doesn’t sound too different from Di’Anno vocally. Cry For Freedom is the final song from the debut EP, its slower and more melodic then the prior songs. The real meat and potatoes of this CD begins with the classic speed metal anthem titled Ride The Sky which follows up the Walls of Jericho intro. Ride The Sky is full of awesome riffing and Kai’s soaring vocals backed up by pounding drums, consider it a lighter version of something off Metallica’s Ride The Lightning. Reptile is kind of funky due to its gang chorus parts and clear bass lines. More melodic but not overly great is Guardians. Phantoms of Death is another good longer song at 6.5 minutes. Metal Invaders and Gorgar keep the sound of metal moving forward at a mid-pace. More frantic and in your face is track 12 Heavy Metal (Is The Law) and its bombastic live sound. More relaxed and melodic is the 7-minute How Many Tears though that’s not to say it wimps out either. Judas from the self-titled mini album of the same name closes our trip back into the beginnings of Helloween in good fashion thanks to sound quality.

While this album is certainly unpolished by today’s standards and probably not the best Helloween CD it is a good release and better then most underground metal from the same time period. Better Than Raw is probably my favorite Helloween CD, but when I want something old school and thrashing Helloweens oldies are an excellent choice too.

http://www.helloween.org/index2.html

$13 @ http://www.theendrecords.com

If you are brand new to Helloween the best starting point may be their Treasure Chest 2-CD best of 29 song release for $16.

I just discovered Helloween with the Keeper part one CD.. I love it. Im gonna start picking up a lot of their music. Thanks for ther review ,especisally about the 2 CD set i will have to look for that. I just got keeper part 2 and it is a great CD but the first one is still my favorite
i cant stop blasting it... especially "Twilight of the gods" and "helloween"

thespectralsorrows said:
cool, glad you like my review and Helloween. I need to get the Keeper discs myself, I used to have a tape copy of part 2 many years ago.

I plan on dipping into the back releases of this band... they are the band of the moment for me...How are the more recant records llike the Oath and the Master of the Rings. From what ive read they are really cool and close to the Keepers part 1 and 2.Does the 2 cd set include any of thes tunes as well... or just the earlier stuff

thanks Fred.

Yes, upon the arrival of Andy Deris as lead singer on Master of the Rings, Helloween became a good metal band again. To learn about the complete recordings of Helloween and other bands look them up at http://www.allmusic.com As you will see Better then Raw is ranked very highly. While Michael Kiske did a great job on the Keeper CD's, Andy Deris is a much better metal singer and one of the best singers in power metal. Yes, Treasure Chest includes songs from all Helloween CD's prior to 2003's Rabbit Don't Come Easy. There's really no point in buying it if you are planning to buy several full lengths though.

Fred B said:
I plan on dipping into the back releases of this band... they are the band of the moment for me...How are the more recant records llike the Oath and the Master of the Rings. From what ive read they are really cool and close to the Keepers part 1 and 2.Does the 2 cd set include any of thes tunes as well... or just the earlier stuff

thanks Fred.

thespectralsorrows said:

Starlight has an odd radio/TV broadcast intro before powering into a speedy romp of power metal.

That intro is taken from the film Halloween 3: Season of the Witch actually.

This is a great album, the production has this raw edge, which along with Kai Hansen's vocals gives it a slight trash metal vibe that can't really be found on Keeper of the Seven Keys I & II.

I need to check out their work with Andy Deris on vocals. Especially The Dark Ride, Helloween exploring a darker side of music sounds intriguing to me.