Help: does JSX work on 110V as well as 220V?

SickBoy

Croatian Panzer division
Apr 9, 2004
Split, Croatia, Europe
www.myspace.com
I searched Peavey's site, read its manual carefully and googled, but didn't come across a clear answer to this dilemma... A friend's father is currently in USA and found this head for a bargain and wants to buy it for him and then bring it back to Croatia.

As you probably all know, USA uses 110V AC, while European countries use 220V AC. We're not sure whether the amp itself would "recognize" the AC voltage (since it hasn't that 110V-220V switch on the back panel) and adjust itself accordingly or Peavey simply makes two kinds of power tranny's, one for each voltage...

Thanks for your input people! :headbang:

I know that in the case of Australia, people who get amps from the US either have to swap the tranny or get a converter.
With my JSX it has 200/230-240 written near the power plug. We have 240 power, and I don't have to make any adjustments on it.

Sickboy, I'm pretty sure mine has 110 printed on the back (implying that it can't work with anything else), though I'm not sure and can't check now cuz I'm not at school (where my JSX is). I'll look when I get back tomorrow night, though.

I was afraid you were gonna say that... :(
Does any 2 or more channel head come to mind that has an AC voltage selector on the back panel? So that he can get something else and return the JSX.
I really don't understand how can making 2 different trannys be more cost-effective than making 1 tranny with a switch... :confused:

I was afraid you were gonna say that... :(
Does any 2 or more channel head come to mind that has an AC voltage selector on the back panel? So that he can get something else and return the JSX.
I really don't understand how can making 2 different trannys be more cost-effective than making 1 tranny with a switch... :confused:

I'm pretty sure my old 5150 combo had a switch - maybe the head does as well?

I'm pretty sure my old 5150 combo had a switch - maybe the head does as well?

Just checked my 6505 and yes there is a switch, BUT it only switches between either 220V or 240V, I would have assumed 110 and 240. My Krank has a switch next to the transformer, 110 or 240. It does seem more cost effective to have a switchable transformer.

Its so annoying. Why can't they take a leaf out of the computer psu providers book and provider a voltage selector for all amplifiers? Surely this would save them a bomb in the long run. Anyway there must be a reason I dont know about, these company's are not stupid lol

Yes but much more dangerous if you plug and that the switch is in the wrong position...

I agree, but it's totally up to user to take care of that part. And those who rock all around the world can surely purchase more than one head and use one for each voltage... I remember clearly that most of older amps had up to 6-7 voltages to choose at the rear. I've owned Twin Reverb and MV 2203 to be specific...

An other friend had an interesting thought... What if the tranny is in fact capable of running at both voltages, but the difference comes down to internal wiring? Then it would be all solved by just resoldering the tranny... And it would make sense, as they wouldn't have to produce 2 different trannys. I hope that's the case. :headbang:

DO NOT use a 110 V amp on 220 V! That voltage will fry something inside, I have learned this the hard way. You could instead get a voltage converter, it is cheap.
An amp designed to run with 110Vs does not adapt to 220 V :p

marshall jcm800!!

Eh?!? o_O

DO NOT use a 110 V amp on 220 V! That voltage will fry something inside, I have learned this the hard way.

That must've hurt :p

You could instead get a voltage converter, it is cheap.

Yeah, and it's a pain to carry around at all times. It's okay if you're American and will do a few gigs in 200+ V countries but vice versa... :erk:

An amp designed to run with 110Vs does not adapt to 220 V :p

And I wasn't talking about that, but rather about a possibility that Peavey (and probably other amp manufacturers) made its power trannys to work with 110V and 200-240V, but depending on how they are soldered inside an amp. It's nothing unusual for a tranny to have multiple voltage outlets...