Help me choose a bycicle for the city :)

AD Chaos

MGTOW
Aug 3, 2009
Been thinking about picking up a bike since public transportation is all too crowded nowadays, traffic is even worse, and the studio I work at is not that far anyway (plus I don't have to carry equipment back and forth, normally).
Already went to a couple of shops but I don't have the first idea about what to look for in terms of brands, features, specs, etc.

I'm looking for something light (to jump up and down sidewalks and carry around with relative ease) and with some nice look to it if possible.

So if anyone has some advice or knows a bit about bikes I'd really appreciate it :)

I've got an older Specialized Hardrock Sport that I love. It's a hardtail, and no shocks up front, so it's great for street riding, and is plenty light for the (very little) dirt trails/offroading I do. It's a personal preference thing, I grew up racing BMX, dirt jumping, freestyling, etc. so I like a stiff frame that I can easily feel. I used to have a mountainbike with the soft tail and shocks in the forks, and it just felt like such a soft, mushy ride. To each his own, though.

Hit up your local Craigslist, there's usually a metric shitton of great bikes dirt cheap. Mine was around $600 new, picked it up for $80 on CL. You really can't go wrong with a Specialized, Trek, GT, Diamondback, Giant... steer clear of heavier steel frames like you'd find in a department store bike, go chromoly or aluminum.

Rode specialized and avanti and liked em. Just don't buy a fixie or we'll have to eject you from the community.

+1.

The hardtail suggestion is a good one. Alternatively, a chromo cyclocross bike would work too. With wider tires, around 32-37c you'd not likely have a problem going up and down sidewalks. Something with some tread on it and you'd be good on rough surfaces too.

Depending on if you're comfortable with a more road-bike like frame, drop bars, it could be more comfortable and slightly lighter & faster. A MTB would be a lot easier to find, though.

Yeah, my Mom actually has a man's Specialized hybrid that's really freakin' nice, much faster and more nimble than my mountain bike with it's fat tires (and no shocks, which I too infinitely prefer for street riding)

I'll add something else: if it's your first "real" bike, then yeah try to buy used. You'll probably get a better deal. And, you won't care as much the first time you fall or crash.

But yeah, get something simple, as the others have alluded to. The more complicated it is = the more things can go wrong, and the more costly it is to fix them. Stay away from anything with suspension, hydraulic disc brakes, etc. shit like that. Chromoly frame is a good idea, but a good aluminum frame will serve you well too.

Some good brands to look out for (I'll repeat Russtopher a bit here): Specialized, Giant, Trek (the "Big 3"), Kona, Rocky Mountain, Gary Fisher (part of Trek now), Norco, Cannondale, Brodie, Jamis, Fuji, Marin, Masi, Opus, Bianchi, Devinci. That's just off the top of my head, there are tons and tons of good bike brands. As said before, stay away from heavy cheap hi-tensile steel frames and shit department store bikes and you'll be good to go.

Check out bikeforums.net. Lots of good advice there. Do some research, find out what's good, and what's not. There's lots to learn as with anything, but the more you research, the better off you'll be :headbang:

Thanks much guys- lots of good info already.

Yes I was thinking of a mountain bike-style, with fat tires that can take a beating. No worries about a fixie- I don't want to look like the mailman or a grandma ;)
A Specialized with suspensions like this looks sweet to me (although it's more than what I had in mind, money-wise):

2315_1.jpg

I don't think I'd want it completely rigid, as I plan to keep my kidneys and nuts functioning -at least for a while moar :)
A guy on a shop showed me this Cannondale (didn't like it that much) going locally for about $800:

adventure3.jpg

Actually, I just realized it's almost half the price online.. Might think about importing one as to get more bang for the buck.

About the used market, just today some dude was telling me about how it's somewhat costume for used bike shops to sell re-assembled bikes made up from stolen ones, so I'm not up for that. That's the same reason why I don't think I could be spending too much on a very expensive one, anyways.

I would get a mountain bike with front suspension only with your situation. I would put street tires on it unless you live in a place with lots of snow (not sure what qualifies as mental institution weather lol). That improves the handling a lot in most situations with tire to street but is horrible with tire to ice, it is a disaster lol.

Personally, I have a Kona Dawg Deluxe similar to these one but a dark blue:

http://www.whistlermountainbike.com/wmb/index.php?content=112009-kona-dawg-deluxe
http://www.konaworld.co/bike.cfm?content=dawgdeluxe

I love it for riding around anywhere, but dual suspension is not needed in your case as it adds a lot of weight. Before this bike, I had a GT that was awesome.

I would recommend that if you can find an old Gary Fisher before it was bought by Trek. Those bikes were awesome.

Just throwing some options out there. GT, Kona, and GF have been my favorite bikes. But really, you can buy a lot used or old bikes and make them awesome.

don't buy a fixie or we'll have to eject you from the community.

Absolute bullshit! :lol: Ride one and try telling me that it's not more fun than a normal bike round a city.

Now... You are in a city yet people have suggested a mountain bike that weighs more, has more rolling resistance, and geometry designed for either upright comfort (low end bikes) or stability over rough terrain. Nothing you want at all in a city bike.

I would aim for...

Rigid Cromo or Alu frame
Rigid Forks
700c wheels running on slick tyres. Bigger tyres for more comfort at the cost of rolling resistance.
1-5 gears, hub gears if you don't like maintenance

What makes a bike fun to ride is speed (unless you're over 50), and the more rigid and simple a bike is, the easier and faster it is to ride. Skinny, slick tires are the most important thing. Ignore mountain bikes unless you want to go mountain biking more than you want to get to work.

So, after looking into different shops and doing some research, I finally pulled the trigger today on this 2012-frame Trek 3900:

5045_productos_imagenp.jpg

Two year theft insurance included, which to me was a huge advantage over having it imported. Got it lower than dealer's price, so can't really complain :D
Surprisingly smooth ride, too.

Thanks much guys in pointing me to the right direction! :)

So, after looking into different shops and doing some research, I finally pulled the trigger today on this 2012-frame Trek 3900:

5045_productos_imagenp.jpg

Two year theft insurance included, which to me was a huge advantage over having it imported. Got it lower than dealer's price, so can't really complain :D
Surprisingly smooth ride, too.

Thanks much guys in pointing me to the right direction! :)

Looks very nice.

But if you are going to ride on public roads you better slap some retro reflective ligts on it and/or wear a safety jacket made of reflective material or you will be invisible to car and truck drivers on such a dark gray bike.

Safety first ! ;) :D

Thanks dudes! That was indeed the most metal one I could find! Soon as I saw it, I knew it was the one..

The bike comes with accessories so it looks better in person, it has some reflective patches, but you're right, I do have to get it some lights (or else I'm just a shadow in the night) and more reflective stuff.. also mudguards, to avoid having a giant skid mark on the back :lol: it looks better with them, anyways.

A reflective jacket though, no thanks- I prefer to get squashed by a truck

You'll know it if I suddenly stop posting..

Looks nice man, but I think I'll put in some tail light, a headlight, and maybe some patch on my backpack, for now ;)