help me get this sound?

GabeFry

Apr 18, 2008
Alright so I've been noticing how nasily my guitars sound and it's really starting to bother me. I can't tell if it's an eq issue, it's an amp modeling issue, or what. But I am trying to achieve a tone like this

But here is what I'm getting. Any help would be wonderful!

Thanks

whats the guitar sound like without that loud and obnoxious snare? lol
can you post a sample?

and if you do, post a clip of the guitar tone your trying to emulate, if you have one

from what im hearing
it sound pretty good

but then again
im also hearing a wall of snare

so, see if you can come up and post some solo'd guitars for your emulation goal and your tone

haha yeah I haven't messed with the velocities yet. Here are just the guitars

guitars not mastered
guitars mastered

I've heard some amaaazing samples with digital guitars and mine all seem to sound the same and totally digital. I'm running through a Toneport UX2 btw with a Presonus tube preamp. I've got the metal shop pack add on and guitar left i'm using a line 6 big bottom, and guitar right i'm using the mesa dual rec setting. I'm gating both guitars to get rid of some high end buss, and low end that I didn't want, but I think it may be making the guitars sound too thin. I don't know. I'd love some advice to make this try and sound more 'real'.

Thanks!

SICK, BTBAM!

Is their bass in your clip? That's going to be a big part of your sound. Try boosting some of the chunkier frequencies (125hz, 400-600 and 1.5k).

Ok I feel 100 x better. I looked through a ton of threads, and tried to give impulses another shot. In the past I recorded my podfarm tracks with no cab and it sounded horrible. I went ahead and left the cab on this time, and used the impulse, and wow does it make a huuuuge difference.

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/2103035/forbidden cycle 4 mastered.wav

Now I gotta mess with those velocities and it should be sounding way better.

sigmund, your right, it does need a BIT more beef.

but when you mean boost, you mean with the amp settings, right?
cause boosting with an EQ, i once heard, can also raise the noise level on your track
and hes using a presonus unit ( i have one too ) and it tends to have a bit of noise

agree or disagree?

i say add a touch of boosting on your dials for your amp Sim or whatever your using at around 7 Khz
and on the same guitar ( the right one i mentioned a second ago, do what sigmund said, hes right )

but the left guitar i cant really make it out.
try another setting completely, maybe?

That's the best part i love about recording
trying shit out even if it might be a little wrong to some ^^