Help me with my dirty mix

crazykarl

Captain Insano
Feb 16, 2009
US of A
I'm currently working with a band called Soulbent from Florida and they are going for the Southern/Dirt Rock sort of vibe (think CoC or Down). I've never really had to make a mix that's intentionally gritty sounding so it's taken me a little while to get is sounding right.

Gimme some tips on this mix! I'm not going for the tight metal sound, it's gotta kinda flap around and be groovin like Kyuss, etc.

The song is called "Coward"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=928750

dude... it hadn't even been 2 hours since your original post...

this is an international forum... not everyone can be on it at the same time as you... let alone waiting for you to post something and get feedback...

give a it a day... THEN if no one answers... bump.

btw, i still haven't listened to it.

dude... it hadn't even been 2 hours since your original post...

this is an international forum... not everyone can be on it at the same time as you... let alone waiting for you to post something and get feedback...

give a it a day... THEN if no one answers... bump.

btw, i still haven't listened to it.

I realize this, I'm just anxious to try something new. Sorry for breaking the sacred laws of message boarding.

Sounds pretty cool man, but there's something with the groove of it. Feels really robotic.

The drums were recorded to a click track 3 years before I touched it. It's a single tempo through the entire song, and it's sort of a slow grind. I think that may be the problem. JC the drummer is extremely tight, but possibly too tight for this song.

Probably one of the worst songs I've ever heard....ever. Who is the asshole that dialed in that amp? Haha. It definitely needed more blankets.

Probably one of the worst songs I've ever heard....ever. Who is the asshole that dialed in that amp? Haha. It definitely needed more blankets.

Yeh fuck those Floridians. More blankets I say! Should've used 3 tubescreamers before the 5150.

The drum and bass tone is nice for this.

These guitars kind of sounded like the powerball I recorded last month before I (nuke(d) 400hz and d(0)id a 3db high shelf at 3khz and a slight boost at 2.5khz) :devil: DO IT!

More compression and taming of those vocals, maybe cut a bit of mids out of them and a little presence boost.

You're producing this band, aye? It's your job to get more emotion out of this singer. It sounds like he's doing kareoke and he's not so enthused about it. His voice sounds good and he's got good pitch, but it sounds like he doesn't care about the music. Ruined the song for me.

The drum and bass tone is nice for this.

These guitars kind of sounded like the powerball I recorded last month before I (nuke(d) 400hz and d(0)id a 3db high shelf at 3khz and a slight boost at 2.5khz) :devil: DO IT!

More compression and taming of those vocals, maybe cut a bit of mids out of them and a little presence boost.

You're producing this band, aye? It's your job to get more emotion out of this singer. It sounds like he's doing kareoke and he's not so enthused about it. His voice sounds good and he's got good pitch, but it sounds like he doesn't care about the music. Ruined the song for me.

I only recorded the guitar and bass parts, everything else was already recorded. I really wanted to do more with the vocals, but there wasn't any time. I'm actually starting out from scratch and starting a new mix on another song. There's 15 songs in all. The new mix sounds a lot more organic, but one of my laptop fans just crapped out, so I can't bounce it without melting my motherboard (my computer hates bouncing in pro tools when so many tracks are involved), I'll get back to this project soon.

Thanks for the help!