Help needed for research about metal fans! Spare 10 minutes please? (music recs in return)

supanatw

New Metal Member
Jul 19, 2016
Hello fellow lovers of metal!

I am conducting research on metal fans as part of my master's thesis at the University of Leeds, which explores collaborations between metal bands and craft breweries. This survey studies attitudes of metal fans regarding authenticity and consumption. It would be greatly appreciated if you could please spare 10 minutes or so to contribute to the better understanding of the mind of a metalhead (your responses are anonymous). Link below:

https://leedsubs.eu.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_2rDBkgbnhSKqxN3

As a gesture of my gratitude for your help, I'm recommending some metal bands that I find exceptional which hopefully you would too:

- Sumac

- An Abstract Illusion

- Irreversible Mechanism

- Enshine

- Vektor

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have. Thank you so much, I am truly grateful for your help!

\m/

Supanat Wachiralappaitoon

Okay, did your survey. Some of the statements made me lol.

"Metal musicians will not betray you"

A suggestion would be to narrow the genre focus a bit. A lot of the statements about what is good about metal vary from style to style, given how broad the genre is. I also think the questions about integrity are pretty hard to answer. Plenty of bands have a ton of integrity, whereas others turn out to have almost none. It's very difficult to answer in a way that accounts for both, so I suspect you'll get a lot of neutral answers for those kinds of questions.

Okay, did your survey. Some of the statements made me lol.

"Metal musicians will not betray you"

A suggestion would be to narrow the genre focus a bit. A lot of the statements about what is good about metal vary from style to style, given how broad the genre is. I also think the questions about integrity are pretty hard to answer. Plenty of bands have a ton of integrity, whereas others turn out to have almost none. It's very difficult to answer in a way that accounts for both, so I suspect you'll get a lot of neutral answers for those kinds of questions.

Hi Internally Deformed,

Thank you for your participation! To clarify some of the issues you raised, I understand that "metal" is very broad and subjective. Therefore, I didn't define it but let the subject respond according to his/her own perception of it. Also, the questions have been adapted from other sources to measure specific variables and so the context may not be completely aligned hence some awkward wording. Anyhow, I appreciate your feedback which I will keep in mind. :)

Supanat (Chris) W.

Thank you for your participation! To clarify some of the issues you raised, I understand that "metal" is very broad and subjective. Therefore, I didn't define it but let the subject respond according to his/her own perception of it.

It's not so much a subjectivity issue, obviously I answered according to my own opinions. It's just that my opinions vary (on issues such as technical ability, originality, aggression, etc) from sub-genre to sub-genre. I'd probably answer every question with the opposite response were I to take the same survey regarding only technical death metal or only black metal.