help needed: how do you value a studio?

pikachu69

mixomatic 2000
Jun 7, 2010
New Zealand
I am in the process of trying to sort a deal with a m8 for the use of his studio, as in I hire the studio directly from him and bring my clients to said studio and charging them for my services.
Now as a dry hire, how do you work out what the studio would be worth on an hourly rate?
I realise power and so on has an impact etc but in terms of the building itself and the gear inside (some of which is mine) how do you come to a set fair price so he gets a fair amount but still allowing enough head room to add on my cut. Is i based on a percentage of its worth?

I hope this makes sence as it has become a bit of an issue for me and I need to sort it soon so any help, big or small, will be much appreciated guys.

Thanks,
Nigel.

I have a deal with most local producers / engineers that they pay me a flat hourly rate for the time they are in my studio. For my friends who are interested in working out of my studio I cut a flat rate, but put hourly limits on how long they can be in here.

Jason, could you PM me your lockout and normal hourly rates. I'm trying to work something out with a studio at the moment and could use the information (indirectly of course, I would never state "well such and such does this").

Actually, if anyone else could help me out with that as well that would be great.