Help the newb with recording

DarrenSS

New Metal Member
Feb 15, 2020
Greetings metal heads,

I am new to the whole at home recording and am having some trouble with getting a good sound with what I am trying to achieve.

I currently am currently using Reaper as my DAW and a scarlet 2i2 as an interface without any amp sims. I am trying to use my Boss me-70 muli fx pedal for my distortion directly into my interface. The problem is I get a very unpleasant grainy tone as if i were playing through a blown out Peavey 5150. I checked all of my levels and I have enough head room so i know im not clipping and my gain on the pedal is only around 9-11 o'clock. I have considered that maybe I would have to get a J-48 or some type of Direct Box to help solve this issue as if i were to mic up an amp.

So in a nut shell, should i get the direct box or is it not really worth the time and just go for amp sims?

Greetings metal heads,

I am new to the whole at home recording and am having some trouble with getting a good sound with what I am trying to achieve.

I currently am currently using Reaper as my DAW and a scarlet 2i2 as an interface without any amp sims. I am trying to use my Boss me-70 muli fx pedal for my distortion directly into my interface. The problem is I get a very unpleasant grainy tone as if i were playing through a blown out Peavey 5150. I checked all of my levels and I have enough head room so i know im not clipping and my gain on the pedal is only around 9-11 o'clock. I have considered that maybe I would have to get a J-48 or some type of Direct Box to help solve this issue as if i were to mic up an amp.

So in a nut shell, should i get the direct box or is it not really worth the time and just go for amp sims?

First, you've posted this in the Metal Vinyl Store section. This needs to be in the Recording Forum section. I'll help you though...

I'm not familiar with the Boss ME-70. Does it have cabinet simulation? It sounds like you're just running your distorted guitar tone straight into your interface. What you need is a cabinet simulator & some impulse responses. This one is free & works really well: http://www.igniteamps.com/#nadir

It comes with a few free impulses but you can do a Google search & find more. Also, I recommend you get a power amp simulator. This one is free & excellent: http://www.igniteamps.com/#tpa-1

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.