Help with Photoshop - GTA Styled Retro Images

mick thompson

AKA: Ross Canpolat! SM!
Nov 3, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
hey lads,

calling in a favor - anyone know where i can find a tutorial to produce images like gta's retro styled cartoon images (see below)

photos of people are taken on a 12 mega pixel in RAW format & i have adobe photoshop CS4 (came with my camera) with its standard plugins etc.

basically i want to retro cartoon style some of the photos, then do some chopping so i can export them as .png's with transparent backgrounds.|

cheers if yall can help sneap army

ross (aka: mick thompson)

gta4_lola.jpg

thanks for the replies back lads - this one is prob the closest one i want (except for the final effect he puts on the photo) http://www.planetphotoshop.com/stylized-comic-book-effect-tut.html and its on mac which is even better for me.

the ones ahjteam posted look very impressive just for what i am after they are just a slight bit too much realistic. im after a slight more cartooned effect which the link above provides for me.

iamandy's link is close too but just doesn't go into enough depth - thanks for the replies everyone, i got what i needed!

steaks n beer all around!

If you apply filter 'Poster Edges' with everything at max (I think), then filter 'Cutout' with everything at default, it gives a fairly similar look. Might need a blur filter aftewards.

I have a program for my tablet PC called Sketchbook Pro that has a sweet tracing function that enables you do draw pictures like that, and it doesn't take extremely long.. Unfortunately you need a tablet PC or digitizer to use it.

if you have Illustrator you can just do live trace with however many colors you want in comic book style. That would be fast and easy way to do it.

Alien skin has a comics plugin in the snap art suite if my memory serves me correctly.

I don't think GTA comic stuff is done with a photo as a start, I guess it's done directly that way.
I bet there are tutorial to use particular brushes.
Most of videogames have a lot of preproduction stuff made that way, the gta way, let's say all characters are done that way then they make the 3d model based on that stuff.
I guess they use a brush that gives you the style of an acrylic marking pen.

Use a photo and draw vectors over it.. done! .. well, yeah, sorta atleast! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: