Hendrix contributions

razoredge

Jul 22, 2007
Well, many have agreed on the impact of Jimi. So it got me thinking, what were his contributions and the order that they might be put in from most important on down the list. Will also be interesting to hear how people put it all into words

That's a long list Razoredge! I don't care for his music, but just about every guitarists was directly or indirectly influenced by him.

If I recall correctly, Joe Satriani and Yngwie both started playing guitar the day he died.

I never heard that about Satch and Malmsteen, myself was not long after or just before I forget, 1970 at any rate. I remember being temporarilly totaled.

the long list is why I wanted to see what others thought they were and possibly in a personal perspective of most important on down the line. I have my own ideas but the order of relevance or preferance has changed over the years and the correct words excape me. Possible quoting his own words a bit might best describe

excuse me while I kiss the sky

music... sweet music... I wish I could caress... with a kiss

stand up next to the mountain, chop it down with the edge of my hand

there probably many others, damn good lyricist actually

if your not into Hendrix or dont entirely get what his thing was all about, you probably need a best of, from a guitar players or song writers perspective. Select songs kick ass one way or another, others are even hard for me to listen too... too many times. He did some really creative, possibly advanced 4 track recording work for those times as well, which can help the appreaciation factor.

I never heard that about Satch and Malmsteen, myself was not long after or just before I forget, 1970 at any rate. I remember being temporarilly totaled.

the long list is why I wanted to see what others thought they were and possibly in a personal perspective of most important on down the line. I have my own ideas but the order of relevance or preferance has changed over the years and the correct words excape me. Possible quoting his own words a bit might best describe

excuse me while I kiss the sky

music... sweet music... I wish I could caress... with a kiss

stand up next to the mountain, chop it down with the edge of my hand

there probably many others, damn good lyricist actually

if your not into Hendrix or dont entirely get what his thing was all about, you probably need a best of, from a guitar players or song writers perspective. Select songs kick ass one way or another, others are even hard for me to listen too... too many times. He did some really creative, possibly advanced 4 track recording work for those times as well, which can help the appreaciation factor.

I actually did have someone I work with give me a mix of his "not radio friendly" stuff. I still don't like it.:err:

I actually did have someone I work with give me a mix of his "not radio friendly" stuff. I still don't like it.:err:

Oh, thats too bad

Non radio friendly might not be the best either, cause to me that would be his wacky psyhcodelic stuff. Most everything else is fairly listener friendly by todays standards. Just not for you I guess, maybe "too old" sounding. I still dose up on Hendrix fairly regular, 3-4 times a year. Might need a dose now... that you got me all bummed out and all.......[as he reached for Axis]

He added a firey soul...channeling his emotion through the instrument. He popularized the use of some effects. He wrote some beautiful songs and used interesting chords and techniques. He did a ton...he created a passion through the instrument that I don't believe was there before.

Hendrix made playing lead guitar cool.

He added a firey soul...channeling his emotion through the instrument. He popularized the use of some effects. He wrote some beautiful songs and used interesting chords and techniques. He did a ton...he created a passion through the instrument that I don't believe was there before.

This is a good stripped down discription, excellent job, would have taken me paragraphs.... :lol:

Hendrix made playing lead guitar cool

yep, but he was not alone in this department, the extreme but not alone

we almost always agree.... your just finicky :lol:

and Im easy to please :rolleyes: (or easy to entertain as some say)

I am surprised with all the people that said Hendrix was top three for important modern guitar players... no one (only one) seems to know why

as a guitar player, his most important thing with me, which is usually least mentioned if mentioned at all is his slappy double stop rythmn tecnique, as heard on songs Wind Crys Mary, Little Wing, Castles Made of Sand, Wait till Tommorow, Bold as Love and to a lesser degree many other songs

and some damn great lyrics

I think The Who beat him to that one, I also dont think Jimi was a bad ass type, he was laid back......... but then he beat guitars and amps to death........ now Im confused.........

He inspired a lot of guitarists to be much cleaner players than he was.

actually that would be:
he inspired alot of less origional and less creative people with better dexterity, too much free time and Daddys money on their hands to pick up the guitar, take lessons, mix and match the handful of creative influences and focus their effort on playing these influences at dry lightning fast speed... all day

fixed :cool: