Here it is... My new toy

alanbirdsell

That's gonna leave a mark
Dec 13, 2002
Spokane, WA
www.alanbirdsell.com
Well, I got this new Canon 6.3 megapixel camera a few months ago (2 hours before a Mistress of Reality show) but the lens aperature only went to f5-5.6 which means you need a fair amount of light to get decent image and the more you zoom the more light you need. So I researched zoom lenses that had an fstop of about f2.8 and found a Tamron that would stay at f2.8 the whole zoom length, but at a price tag of almost $1500 made it impossible to get, especially at my rates :D. But I just scored one on E-bay, used but in perfect shape for $401. It's the shit! Now I'm ready to really beg to go to Montana :)

Products :: Lenses

SP AF28-105MM F/2.8 LD Aspherical (IF)

List Price: $1,417.95

28105mm.gif

Optical/Mechanical Feature Key

leg_IF.gif
leg_ASL.gif
leg_LD.gif

Model176DLens Construction (Groups/Elements)13/15Angle of View 75°-24°Type of Zooming RotationDiaphragm Blade Number9Minimum Aperture F/22Minimum Focus 19.7in.(0.5m)/28-105mm, 17.3in(.044m)/70-85mmMacro Mag. Ratio1:4.7Filter Diameterø82Weight31.4oz. (880gm)Diameter x Lengthø3.4 x 4.4in.
(ø87 x 112mm)AccessoryLens hood, Case MountCanon, Minolta, Nikon

Yeah, well, I got a super sweet camera from Wal-mart, and it only cost me $20. Of course there is no zoom, focus, lcd screen, or data card, but it did come with a very comfortable and stylish strap. AND all it takes to run it is two AAA's! How ya like them apples? Bet you wish you thought of that one, huh? :p

The story is... I was laying on the dock watching the stars and waiting to see the momma racoon and her two babies that come down to the lake at night and I fell asleep. I woke a little after midnight to see the Northern Lights. I didn't have my tripod so these are taken with the camera proped up on a log in the edge of the lake. The show lasted about two hours. Later I saw the newpaper said there would be an occurance from some activity on Jupiter. We don't get them all the time but we do see them once or twice a year. Here's a couple more. The one shows how still the lake gets at night. Oh... never did see the reacoons that night. :)

nl1.JPG

nl2.JPG