Hey Geoff

KING

Dec 11, 2001
fireign.cjb.net
Hey Geoff,
This is Brian from Detonation. You seem to know alot about the metal music industry, so you'll probally be able to give me an answer.
Do you think that we should change the name of our band because there is another Detonation from the Netherlands?

http://www.wingsofdeath.nu/detonation/
thats their website, apparently they already have cd's out

I really don't want to change the name, but the rest of the guys think we should.
Anyway i'm just curious to know what is your opinion and what do you think we should do.
Later!

Personally, I would continue using the name. Asphyxiation are aware of the bullshit asphyxiation band in the states. They Suck, are not serious, and are definitely not DEATH METAL. So, go with the flow. The two Detonation's live in completed different country's and have to different metal styles. So unless, they tell you cannot use the name due to copyright infringment then tell em to go to fuck. Thank you for your time.

Lord Death:)

We man, it depends on your goals...REALISTIC goals that is! If you plan to do albums and play here in St. John's and that's it, then fuck it - keep the name! However, if you are really serious about making a name outside of Canada then YES a name change might be a good idea. The thing is, do these guys have any rights to the name legally? If not, you can use it. If they do then if you did ever put out a recording on a real label they might change the name in different countries. I remember "Wrathchild America" had the original name of "Wrathchild" but since another band had the name they had to change it. There are other examples...but in my opinion, the bottom line is if they have the legal right to the name.

You could always copywrite the name in Canada. I'm not sure how much that would cost, maybe 30 bucks or something. If the other Detonation came here, they'd probably have to abide by our laws and make a name change for a show. I'd say it's no big deal, your name isn't Slayer or Black Sabbath you know? Detonation is a cool name, I suggest you keep it.

:devil:

Slag