Hey new guys, come in this thread!

lolzgreg

Cereal Shipping Sneapster
Dec 17, 2008
Long Beach, New York
After thoroughly reading the FAQ section of the forum, and browsing the more popular threads, if you have any general questions about audio production (editing, mixing, mastering), I will try to answer them to the best of my ability in this thread.

I am a relatively new member here as well, and I have learned a lot from this forum, so I will be glad to try to spread the wealth. :wave: :)

Not that I'm new, but I have a question!
When quantizing drums using the slip-editing (Cubase in my case), how do I prevent the cymbals from loosing their transients or getting double transients?
I know Jeff made a video, but there was no sound, and I would like some explanation!

ive got a quick question, i know their is as FAQ about it (which i have read), but its more about drum replacement which i understand, im referring to actual triggers you put on a drum, very simply i dont own any and was wondering how they connect to an interface? MIDI output? TRS, TS, XLR? always bugged me and i havent gotten round to buying them yet, and i dont have a MIDI interface just yet so i hope its audio of some kind.

ive got a quick question, i know their is as FAQ about it (which i have read), but its more about drum replacement which i understand, im referring to actual triggers you put on a drum, very simply i dont own any and was wondering how they connect to an interface? MIDI output? TRS, TS, XLR? always bugged me and i havent gotten round to buying them yet, and i dont have a MIDI interface just yet so i hope its audio of some kind.

atleast the ddrum triggers have an XLR output and you connect them to a microphone preamp.

Yeah, pretty much. You can also use a normal piezo element, solder both poles to a TS jack and just plug it into your interface. It's the cheapest way to do it, I don't know how well both methods work in comparison.

Not that I'm new, but I have a question!
When quantizing drums using the slip-editing (Cubase in my case), how do I prevent the cymbals from loosing their transients or getting double transients?
I know Jeff made a video, but there was no sound, and I would like some explanation!

I asked Jeff about this, and he gave some advice as well, so I'll write it up here:

a. Do you have your cross fade settings correct in Cubase? Should be 5ms fade in, 5ms fade out, auto crossfades.

b. Jeff- If there are a lot of drums being hit in a short period of time, you may need to slide really prominent cymbals (ride bell, hi hat) ahead of the beat JUST slightly to prevent flamming. Remember that cymbals get prominence over fast double kick, since you won't hear much kick in the overheads if you tracked well for metal, and then you can just program in/paste kick hits onto the grid.

c. The drummer in question may have had terrible timing. Hopefully this isn't the case. Remember about turd polishing, that it usually doesn't turn out to great. You can only do so much to fix a poor performance.

greg, for some reason I have never asked this, but here it goes: Why are you so good at setting and micing an amp and what is your usual signal chain?

The biggest part, coming straight from Sneap himself, is "knowing what to listen for." You have to know what you want from the amplifier, what amplifier to choose based upon the context of the mix and the style of the player, and a micing position to capture the tone the way it is in your head.

I will generally use a single 57 through my SCA API preamp into my head of choice. I generally start with the Dual Rectifier, because if it sounds shitty/great with a particular player, it will either be the golden amp, or nudge me in the right direction for an amplifier voicing that will work best. I do not do any post processing on my guitars EVER aside from a HP/LP and sometimes a high-shelf or a small notch or two.

When working with your tonestack settings, remember that "too little mids" sometimes means too much bass and treble, etc. You need a balance in the frequency spectrum to make an amplifier sound right. Most instruments take SHELVING very well, since you are causing the least amount of phasing since all of the bands are increased equally gain wise. Sometimes the tone will have a great character, but be too dark or bright for a mix. Reach for a shelf filter before you do anything else.

You can either hook a trigger up to a MIDI unit such as the Alesis Trigger I/O to route the hits straight to MIDI, or plug the Triggers into a preamp. Some people have routed triggers straight to the A/D converter, but it may not have enough gain to properly capture more intricate hits or parts.

I know the guys have already answered this, but it's something you could have found from google in seconds:

The ddrum Acoustic Trigger features an XLR jack for safe connection to the sound module.

The ddrum Red Shot Trigger features a 1/4" jack for connection to the sound module.

Obviously I know it's easy to ask from those who know better, but it's always worth trying to research something yourself first.

Hi and thanks for creating this thread!

I'll probably come back and ask more questions, but one buggin me since saturday is concerning latency. So, my computer tells me that my interface has an input latency of 5ms. Does this mean that I have a constant delay of 5ms in all my recordings, or is it more varying between 0 and 5ms depending on what is recorded?

...I was wondering, cause I tried slip-editing drums, and all shifts were below 5ms.

i wonder how many of you guys prefer mixing consoles (either for tracking or mixing) over digital domain.

i have a question about guitar panning while mixing.

i have a song with 2 guitars where on one part both are playing rythem and on another it's one rythem and the other a lead part

if i pan:
100L GTR 1
70L GTR 1
70R GTR 2
100R GTR 2

the first part is fine but the melodic one is awkward (one side rythen the other lead)

and if i pan:
100L GTR 1
70L GTR 2
70R GTR 2
100R GTR 1

then i lose the effect of 2 different guitars and end up with both guitars sounding like one guitar on identical parts

how do you pan? sould i automate?

this thread is gonna be on fire preety soon i'm affraid!

My question:

How does a spectrum analyzer look when a "standard" good tone is achieved? i don't mean "gimme the preset" i know the bass has a huge influence, i guess i'm just trying to figure out the "dont's".

Thanks for the time you take for this!

this thread is gonna be on fire preety soon i'm affraid!

My question:

How does a spectrum analyzer look when a "standard" good tone is achieved? i don't mean "gimme the preset" i know the bass has a huge influence, i guess i'm just trying to figure out the "dont's".

Thanks for the time you take for this!

There is no such thing as a "'standard' good tone", and each album's tone is going to look different than the next on an analyzer. My advice would be to toss the analyzer and use your ears.