High and Low

Greeno

Oct 14, 2003
WV USA
A guy at work and myself were talking about all of the concerts we've seen and we got on the subject of who we felt we'd seen at the "high point" of their career and who we'd seen at their "low point". So I thought this topic could make for a good thread here at the old UMOS. :)

So what are your highs and lows....... and remember one man's high could be another man's low. :)

I have many highs and lows but I'll just list one of each for now.

HIGH
Metallica - 1986 Master Of Puppets tour openeing for Ozzy

LOW
Kiss - 1986 Asylum tour .... the only time I've ever seen Kiss and they didn't even have the makeup on. One of my biggest music regrets is not having seen Kiss in the 70's (and I refuse to go see them now... greedy fuckers).

BTW - the guy at work, his HIGH was Zeppelin in 1971 or 72 .... he makes me feel soooo young. :)

Hi Greeno! Long time, no see.

The best concert I've attended so far was Metallica this year, they've played a lot of their older stuff which made it great.
The concert I liked least was Counting Crowes two years ago, after the show they took pleasure in telling us how wrong we've been and how lucky we are to live in a democratic country, I guess I now know why they only serve beer in plastic cups at these events.
I wish I was old enough to have seen Zeppelin play, lucky bastard:)

Highs:
Van Halen: Women and Children First & Fair Warning Tours.
When DLR was is in his prime, no one could touch him as a frontman.

Queensryche - Empire Tour. The first tour that they played the Operation:Mindcrime album all the way through.

Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind & Powerslave Tours...they slayed, 'nuff said.

Lows:
Def Leppard about a year ago. F'kin horrible, boring show.

High - AC/DC 1979 - Nobody could touch Bon Scott, IMO, not even DLR that year.
DLR - Eat Em' & Smile

Lows - I still love em' to death, but Molly Hatchet just isn't the same without the original guys in the band.

Skid Row - Ain't shit without Sebastian & the rest of the original members

J-Dubya

Highs: Queesnryche, Empire tour for the same reason as Whisper.

BOC every damn time I see them. They love to perform and it's obvious. Alice Cooper always puts on a good show too, as does Dio. The professional bands are always some of my favorites and I'd see them anytime.

Low: G 'n' R, Apetite. Careerwise they were on their way up. The show I saw Axl biffed his mout on the mic and cut the show off after about 5 songs. I knew then he was a prima donna and they'd crash and burn

HIGH: KISS reunion Tour, original members all in make-up... a dream come true!

LOWS: Nazareth in a bar. Great to see them at all but sad that they are reduced to playing in a small bar with only about 100 people there.

:headbang:

Highs - Dio "The Last in Line" tour. He was in absolute top form. Tesla "Mechanical Resonance" tour. Slayer "Seasons In the Abyss" tour. They absolutely crushed. Wrathchild America "Climbing the Walls" tour. They blew headliner Pantera away and Pantera kicked ass as well. Slaughter.... late 90's have no idea what release they were supporting. Hair metal or not, Mark blew the fucking roof off of the place. Great vocalist. Vanden Plas, "Beyond Daylight" tour. They are as perfect as their releases. Angel Dust.... don't remember what they were supporting. They were metal up your ass though !! Brother Cane "Seeds" tour. This is a rock band, but they brought the noise. Jackyl (American) can't remember which tour. Sort of a cross betweeen hard rock, Southern Rock and metal. They kicked ass !! Bon Jovi "New Jersey" tour. I shall slay all that poke fun at Bon Jovi. They give 100% and are well worth seeing live even if you don't care for their music.

lows.... GnR.. the band was great.... Axl was a prick on stage. Evergrey.. they are boring as hell. Why are they popular ? Ratt.... I sort of dug their early stuff, but Pearcy, their vocalist was terrible live and they were so fucking loud I couldn't think. Angra.... the band was spot on but Edu had a terrible day. Great band though. I would love to see them again and Edu to be more on top of things.

Bryant

Highs:

Kiss - Irvine Meadows, June 21, 1996. I'd been fighting with my ex-gf at the time and my friend that joined me had been fighting with her bf that day. This was Kiss' first show (before the Tiger Stadium show in Detroit a week later) in makeup in 17 years. Not only did they try out some new pyro effects that threw off their timing, they also set the stage on fire! :kickass: :heh: The only other truly memorable Kiss show that I would see with the original lineup would be the "Farewell Tour," of 2000 at the Anaheim Pond in Anaheim, CA where Gene got stuck mid-air during God of Thunder and Paul would get hung up above the audience trying to fly during Love Gun. Ace Frehley forgot the lyrics to 2000 Man and Peter Criss went too long on the drum solo for Calling Dr. Love. (Video of Gene and Paul are available on YouTube.com)

Neurosis - Troubadour, West Hollywood, CA, 1999. Saw the band performing before the release of Times of Grace, so most of the material was new. The sheer volume of the band and the intensity of the visuals was enough to make me almost pass out. :worship:

Slayer - Iguanas, Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico, 1992. I think this was the first show with Paul Bostaph and was done as part of a mini-tour to warm up for their Castle Donington appearance that year. People were jumping off the 3rd floor balcony into the moshpit below. :lol:

Lows:

Rhino Bucket - one of my cousins dragged me out for this show at a little dive in Los Angeles about a year ago. The band brought in about 52 people from the word around the club. Just very, very sad...

Kip Winger - I wasn't at this show, but the owner of the club in Reseda, Paladinos, told us the tale of how Kip Winger's most recent performance there only pulled in 27 people. He also opened at one point for my friend's Metallica tribute band, Creeping Death at this same venue.

When you've once packed arenas and had #1 hit songs and you're opening for a tribute band - I think it's over! :lol: :heh: :Smug: