High/Low Pass Filter or Shelf?

Mike 24

Jul 23, 2007
MA
Wanted to ask people what they have been using more of lately for metal guitars, either high and low pass filter or shelves? Any tonal advantages or like/dis-likes of either method for this genre?
I think Andy uses 60 hz and 12k normally?
Thanks

more than anything, you just need to realize the difference in each...lo/hi pass filters are going to eliminate the frequencies above or below a given point, whereas shelving EQ's will boost/cut by a certain amount

anyways, it seems like most people go for filtering when it comes to guitars in order to cut out the crap that they don't need/want in their guitar tracks

Good rule of thumb if you're starting out: Highpass EVERYTHING (kick, snare, bass guitar, vocals, you name it) to one degree or another. 40hz minimum.

werd.
i remember when i first started highpassing shit and how my mind was blown and how much it helped.

i still can't get it through to anyone though, especially on their own vocal mics (live), they're liek "but i need my voice to sond right blabh blah". assholes. Friday night, I spent about 20 mins explaining that the "2trk to mix" button on a 4chan behringer mixer means that it controls the goddamn 2-track tape input. i was about to punch some fucking faces. uuugh. don't even get me started on having to go back and engage the highpass buttons on live mixers all the tiem because fagholes srsly think they need that shit. PURE HATRED.

Jesus, the hi-pass button on mixers is usually at like 80 Hz or something ridiculously low (which is obviously NOT what you want a lot of at high volumes in a small club), what retards...

I find I use high and low passes fileters on guitars, bass, kick drum but shelves on stems/groups to add high end after compressing alot