circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Himsa – Hail Horror
Prosthetic Records – 6561910029-2 – February 7th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

himsa.jpg

Other than Lamb of God, Himsa could be Prosthetic’s most lucrative outfit, as Courting Tragedy and Disaster caused quite a stir within the eyeliner-wearing crowd. Frankly, I’m completely baffled as to why I haven’t crossed paths with these Seattleites before now, but I suspect Hail Horror is a good introduction. Again, like a bucketful of groups on the label’s roster, these five individuals play a brand of melodeath/metalcore that fails to satiate my hunger pangs.

“Anathema” is a solid leadoff for Hail Horror, because its genre-mixing is entertaining and keeps the listener guessing about what they’re going to do next. Sadly, that particular attribute fizzles out shortly after it introduces itself, though the razor-sharp riffs on “Sleezevil” atone for their comrade’s absence. “The Destroyer” is even better: the guitar hooks are layered with emotion, and are debatably on par with some forms of human/animal expression. Occasionally, Himsa opt for In Flames-esque melodies, and while this album is overly melodic, much of it is downright cantankerous, spewing breakdowns void of the clean sound that walks hand-in-hand with melodic death metal. Whatever the case, with the exception of a couple opuses, I think this is mostly standard work.

Perhaps I’m being daft, but I don’t understand what all the hubbub is about as far as Himsa are concerned. To me, it seems as if several other bands deserve the ever-moving spotlight more than this quintet do. Of course there are a few nice moments scattered about, but overall Hail Horror is a middle-of-the-road effort, which should prove easy to upstage. If I had to choose an album from Prosthetic, then it’d be The Esoteric’s With the Sureness of Sleepwalking. Get my drift?

7/10

Official Himsa Website
Official Prosthetic Records Website

Yeah, I think overall the reviews here are great, but on too high of a scale. I mean, it has to be the worst album ever to get a 4. And this album, which is mediocre (5 or 6) gets a 7.

Agalloch said:
Yeah, I think overall the reviews here are great, but on too high of a scale. I mean, it has to be the worst album ever to get a 4. And this album, which is mediocre (5 or 6) gets a 7.

Since Phil explained his rating scale in another thread, I suppose it's my turn now. For me, a 7 is an average effort with both good and bad moments. I basically adopted the grading scale from the American school system, since that's how I've always been graded for my efforts. Here's a quick rundown of it, plus keep in mind that I like a variety of styles:

9 and above: must-own album that will most likely appear on best-of lists
8.5: fans of the style should look into it immediately
8: keep watch for it and check it out if you come across it
7.5: nice effort with some great moments, but not necessarily purchase-worthy
7: average - probably shouldn't buy because bad matches the amount of good
6.5 and below: needs significant improvement before anyone should pay attention to it

To the best of my knowledge, I've never given a rating higher than 9 or lower than 4. The hearts of most reviewers I know - after reviewing for a while - either grow larger or shrivel altogether. I'd say mine did the former. Thanks for reading, and hope the explanation proves useful.

:wave: