Hirax Singer Wants To Audition For Exodus

Deadly Embrace

TL PREACHER
Feb 27, 2002
Bay Area
www.sfmetal.com
I called an old friend last night, & left a voice mail message that if he was interested in an audition for Exodus, to call me back. He's the singer for the band Hirax, an L.A. thrash band from the 80's, his name is Katon DePena. I thought of him because we've managed to stay in touch, over the years, & he's a great person, as well as a good thrash singer. He has many of the qualifications, such as: He's been on tours, knows the music buisness, mature, close to their age, personal friends with the band already, lives in California, & been around the block a few times, as well as being the main leader in his band Hirax(which still plays). His voice is alittle high, & I know he could nail the Zetro material, but I'm not sure of him being able to pull off the lower Baloff vocals, but thats what auditions are for, to show his style & stage presence. And see what they(Exodus) think.
Now I'm not saying he would be the best replacement, but he deserves a chance & has the credibility needed. Anyway, he did call me back, & was very interested, as well as totally serious. He thought they could use him, & it would be a good fit. He's a big Exodus fan, knows their music, & is defineately interested in getting the gig. He was very excited ................& confident........
So I gave their mangements number, to have him call request an audition. I'll never forget a show at The Santa Monica Civic (sold out) in 1985 or '86, Hirax opened(and they were great), Exodus was the support(in their prime with Baloff), & the headliner was either Venom or Slayer, I can't remember, does anyone know who? Lets see who else will audition, this is very interesting(at least to me)................................

well i always think that katon is such an amzing vocalist, but i dont know if he can do it with exodus, but we dont wanna a zetro clon or baloff clon so!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hire the guy and look whats happen as somebody said here he knows all about a thrahs metal band, and he is a thrasher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
by the way have somebody heard phantasm with katon and gene hoglan on drums?

Outside the Thrash of the Titans, Katon gave me a copy of their self-financed Barrage of Noise CD, can't imagine that too many people have really heard his vocals since the late '80s.

While at first listen BofN seemed simplistic, it really grew on me over time, and discovered its complexity. I like it alot. DE is right, generally high pitched vocals, clean throat. I really would have no idea on how he'd fit in with the Exodus sound. With some of those double H-bomb backing vocals though , I think it'd be cool...

I seem to remember first hearing him on Bombs of Death (on one of those old metal blade comps?) I still have Raging Violence.