In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
Holy Moses - Strength, Power, Will, Passion
Crash Music - CMU61159 - May 23, 2005
by Amanda J. Carlson
HolyMoses.jpg

My assumption that Angela Gassow of Arch Enemy was the only chick with enough balls to growl like a guy has just been proved wrong. Sabina Classen has carried Holy Moses proudly on her shoulders for almost twenty years, and her voice fits nicely in the thrash/death metal scene. It may not be as strong and deep as some guys, but Sabina defies human anatomy by doing something our female vocal chords just weren’t made to do. Must be a German thing.

What catches my attention about Strength, Power Will, Passion is that it’s not quite the typical thrash metal album. It certainly has the speed, the crunch, and the chaos, but they’ve got the some of the things that I like best in metal: structure, guitar melody, and just plain fucking heaviness. Songs like “Examination” remind me a lot of Iced Earth or Soilwork, while others like “I Will,” and “Death Bells II,” resemble Carcass.

The one thing that taints this album is that most of the songs are of the same formula. I’m not familiar with a whole lot of thrash, but it seems to me to be a characteristic of the genre. The album is solid all the way through, though, with tight musicianship and great production. I’m always impressed by a band that stays strong after so many years of rockin’.

6.5/10

Holy Moses Official Website

Crash Music Official Website

Great no-frills, no-messing thrash album from a band who deserves a lot of respect for staying the course. "I Will" is an absolute hammer! :headbang:

This is a very powerful album in my opinion and a must have. The riffs completely blow me away.