HOUSE OF LORDS "World Upside Down"

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
I've posted a thread about this disc before, but I'm going to do it again. I can't recommend this latest effort by House of Lords enough if you like big vocals, guitars, drums, keyboards, and catchy choruses! If you like bands in the vein of PC69, Jaded Heart, Pretty Maids, and Gotthard, then you owe it to yourself to check "World Upside Down" out. :headbang: This is hard rock done with class, bottom line.

~Brian~

I couldn't agree more. This is an excellent release! Saw the band on Long Island in January and they were great (despite the horrible sound system at the venue). :headbang:

Steph

I agree that this is one of their best to date. In fact I ended up also buying the Jap version in order to get the bonus track. I caught these guys in Cinc, OH not to long ago and they also impressed me live. I told them I thought they should tour more of the main cities like Chicago. The show was well worth the 6 hour drive. To those that bought this cd and loved it, be careful if you are debating on buying their previous one, The Power and the Myth, because it doesn't even come close to the World Upside Down.

Melodic Rock album of last year for me. I had no intention of EVER buying this (although I own all the other HOL releases) but I downloaded it for shits and giggles and it blew me away (FINALLY!). As a result of downloading it, I saw them live, bought a shirt and bought a cd.

I can't recommend this one enough!

To those that bought this cd and loved it, be careful if you are debating on buying their previous one, The Power and the Myth, because it doesn't even come close to the World Upside Down.

I agree. The Power and the Myth was an experimental album for the band that just fell flat on it's face. That's the only disc not worth owning by the band in my opinion, otherwise all other releases are keepers. :kickass:

~Brian~

I also have to agree with the general sentiment here. I saw House of Lords at Jaxx back in January. It was actually funny, because I went up there on a whim, as I was bored that evening (the skiing was shut down due to the warm weather, so I found myself basically with nothing to do that Saturday), so I decided, what the hell, it was better than just sitting around the house with nothing to do. I was blown away, it was an awesome show, plus those guys were really cool to get to hang out with after the show. There was hardly anybody there that night as well (plus it was an over 21 show as well). I bought a copy of the new album directly from them and got the whole band to sign it. This was before it was "officially" released in the US. This really is an excellent album and definite recommendation.

I bought a copy of the new album directly from them and got the whole band to sign it. This was before it was "officially" released in the US. This really is an excellent album and definite recommendation.

I had 3 downloads left on eMusic (a LEGAL MP3 site that has a good Metal selection) for April and got the first 3 songs of their new album. VERY VERY good stuff! When my account resets on May 2nd I'll get the rest of the album. Might even get the actual CD.

I also have to agree with the general sentiment here. I saw House of Lords at Jaxx back in January. It was actually funny, because I went up there on a whim, as I was bored that evening (the skiing was shut down due to the warm weather, so I found myself basically with nothing to do that Saturday), so I decided, what the hell, it was better than just sitting around the house with nothing to do. I was blown away, it was an awesome show, plus those guys were really cool to get to hang out with after the show. There was hardly anybody there that night as well (plus it was an over 21 show as well). I bought a copy of the new album directly from them and got the whole band to sign it. This was before it was "officially" released in the US. This really is an excellent album and definite recommendation.

I was at that show. Criminal, the turnout for a great and unusual show. We took a friend who wanted to check out "the scene I'm into" and this was a very gentle way to introduce her to some proper music. She really enjoyed the show too!

I was at that show. Criminal, the turnout for a great and unusual show. We took a friend who wanted to check out "the scene I'm into" and this was a very gentle way to introduce her to some proper music. She really enjoyed the show too!

Kick-ass! You must've seen me than. I was the fairly big guy with the wavy blond should-length hair. I was right up against the rail almost directly in front of James. I forgot what I was wearing that night, though.

But yeah, it was actually kinda sad at the turnout and practically felt bad for the band. Even more sad is that I bet the local bar was packed just to see some crappy cover-band playing the same crappy shit that was over-played a million times on the radio. I got chatting with some guy at the bar and I mentioned how the skiing was shut down due to the warm weather we were experiencing at the time, and that I was actually in the mood to see some live music, as well as just looking for something to do that evening. I mentioned that I could've just as easily went to one of the local joints right here in Fredericksburg to watch some cover band. We were both than saying, "why see some crappy cover-band when we can come here (at Jaxx) and see the real thing?" A-friggan-men brother (clink of beer bottles tapping up against each other! :kickass: )

Unfortunatly, the only two House of Lords albums I have is this new one and the previous one, The Power and the Myth. I'll have to go and track down some of their back catalog, as after that night, I have become a real fan of them. A great bunch of guys putting out some excellent "old-school" type melodic rock and metal.

House of Lords is just awesome, I loved the albums Sahara and Demons Down, I think James Christian has one of the best voices in melodic hard rock. A few years back he also sang for a project created by Pata the other guitarist of Jrock gods X JAPAN. Its also in the style of HOL, heres a video for one of the songs Road of Love, check it out if you like really good melodic hard rock!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGm6WEJ4Dgk