How do you make Addictive Drums snares sound good?!

AntWise

Dec 26, 2011
soundcloud.com
Hi guys!

I have been doing quite a bit of home recording recently and am pretty happy with the guitar and bass tones I can get. I have been using addictive drums for the beats, with the metal adpak! I really like the sounds of the kit except for the snare. I can never get it to sound good in the mix!

Some mixes are better than others but here are some tunes ive done so you can hear:

www.soundcloud.com/anthony-wiseman

Does anyone have any tips they might use?

Cheers!

Try cutting some mids out of it.
Blend different samples together.
Try a snappier sample.
Try the transient designer plugin which also helps to give snares snap.
And try humanizing it as much as possible.

I dont use Addictive Drums but those are a couple basic tips I could think off the top of my head that might help.

hello mate,try transient designer,compressing,adding 1 or 2 db's at 250khz..
can you upload raw tracks from ''Souls Lost'' please?

Thanks for the help guys! I'll have a chance to play around with it this weekend! I use logic and I think it has a transient designer built in called enveloper, never used it before but let's see what happens!

When you say raw tracks, do you want the raw DIs or the bounced tracks with amp sims included? The files will be huge and will take ages to add to Dropbox, I'll see what I can do!

i mean di's for guitar bass and midi for drums! also you can use winrar or free winzip to compress and then upload on dropbox,mediafire anywhere :)
i really like to mix your song!

I've always felt like the Sonor snare in the original AD was the most snappy one even though it needs a bit of gating to cut that ring out of the end of it. Your high boost might need to be a thinner bandwidth, and honestly you should just bring up the whole drum kit in the mix slightly, seems very guitar-dominant (at least the snare boosted a dB or two when your leads are going on). hipass the reverb around 300hz, bring some body to the snare between 180-220hz with a thin boost there, too. Try layering some multi samples in with a plugin like Trigger or Drumagog. Experiment with tuning the snare lower.

Try adding 3/5dB on 220 (try stillwell plugins, they are AMAZING), use a transient shaper/enhancer/designer, create an aux bus for reverb and compress it "up the fuck up", try some parallel compression, clone the snare track and then use a pitch shifter tuned 1 octave low, try to make your snare bottom track as it will sound in a guitar amplifier (sounds weird but it works sometimes!).
good work :D

oh well, "HUMANIZE" a lot your drums setting velocity hit at different levels and try also to find your snare dominant and harmonic notes and remove them gently with a EQ on the kick and bass tracks, sometime this works fine for me!
aaaand i really enjoyed "bucket list", very nice riffing!!!

Thanks for the help guys! Lots of stuff to play around with! Just had a quick listen to the donor snare and it is sounding pretty good! guns try and get my teeth into some of the more technical stuff soon as i have never really had a go at properly EQing a snare, or using transient designers before!

I bought a trigger program, apptrigga, a while ago and tried it with some Sturgis samples but didn't really give it a proper go! Ill see what that sounds like!

Thanks a lot!

Yo Marios! ill have some time tomorrow to try and send you the DIs mate!

Wutzington - thanks for the help! unfortunately i am in Logic and i think the plugins you mentioned are VST only, but ill take a look at AU equivalents! You would recommend using the multi track option though and processing each part separately?

cheers!