How extensively do you mix / master your instrumental tracks before recording vocals?

Spiritbeast

Noob-in-training
Mar 14, 2011
I remember hearing Joey mentioning that he mixes and masters the track, then adds vox afterwards. Perhaps I read wrong...

Anyway, I was wondering what approach you guys took. Our album's instrumentals will be completed in probably under two months, while the vocals will be recorded through all of summer break, mostly due to the busyness of our vocalist.

Essentially, I'll have around 9 instrumental tracks I have to work with for months straight. Do I mix them and try and try to perfect them, perhaps trying my mastering chain out, or do you guys believe that vocals change the mix so dramatically that introducing them will have to change my philosophy on how things are done?

Just curious on your guys input.

I never put anything in the master bus when tracking because it causes a crap load of latency in Logic Pro 9.
But as far as mixing during tracking I just apply high pass filters and EQ out some annoying frequencies, but that's it as far as tracking.

as long as everything is tight and not annoying sounding in any frequencies you're pretty much good to go, if the vocalist wants more guitar in his mix, you just raise them up. mastering (and/or bouncing everything) before adding vocals sound retarded, you could bounce ampsims and drumreplacements to save CPU, but you want the mastering chain to affect the vocals to, like saturation and the master compressor. let's say you didn't cut enough 3k in the OH's to make room for the vox, then you're fucked. and if you're on a tight schedule you probably won't have time to do a final mix before vocal sessions start. mixing takes time, and is something that should be done slowly and methodic, by you alone, not with the band sitting next to you saying "I want more of my guitar" "STFU, JUSTIN. IT'S MY DRUMS THAT NEED TO COME UP, AAGHH!".

but if you're doing your own stuff, then you can play around and "produce" the stuff while waiting for the vox. automation, effects, glitter and so on is a process that takes time aswell. I'm just saying that one shouldn't leave out the opportunity of changing things later on by bouncing, printing too much and so on.

i mix + master as far as i can before doing vocals. and then i bounce that to a stereo file and save-as "song - vox", then i delete everything except for the stereo file and then add the vox tracks template i have (which is fucking crazy , every vocal effect you could ever think of ready to automate ) then i track stuff in one track, and drag it to where i want it to go. i edit after every take right away. when we record the last part,the song is done, this is later selected and explorted to an archive and imported back into the song project.

the mix is then tweaked here and there until complete.

i mix + master as far as i can before doing vocals. and then i bounce that to a stereo file and save-as "song - vox", then i delete everything except for the stereo file and then add the vox tracks template i have (which is fucking crazy , every vocal effect you could ever think of ready to automate ) then i track stuff in one track, and drag it to where i want it to go. i edit after every take right away. when we record the last part,the song is done, this is later selected and explorted to an archive and imported back into the song project.

curious
do you bounce down the instrumental/midi track with a mastering chain affecting it before adding vocals and then mixing the 2 together with a final overall master chain?
or do you freeze the instrumental/midi tracks without the mastering chain and then track vocals and then adding the overall master chain in the end?

curious
do you bounce down the instrumental/midi track with a mastering chain affecting it before adding vocals and then mixing the 2 together with a final overall master chain?
or do you freeze the instrumental/midi tracks without the mastering chain and then track vocals and then adding the overall master chain in the end?

I have been pondering this same thing for quite some time now, i currently bounce without the master chain on.

I'm also a little confused on this topic. My CPU gets laggy when I start getting to vocals because I have so many VST's running in Cubase 5 on the instrumentals. Is it best to mix the instrumental as best as I can, then export as a wav stereo file, and drag that into a new project and record vox, and then bounce it down to another wav file and then master? this method makes sense to me and might cut me a break with the VST usage.

curious

It really does not matter at all, because that initial bounce to track vocals to is only to track vocals to - it has nothing to do with the final project. As Joey stated, he imports the vocal tracks back into the original project after the fact and mixes from there.

I imagine he's using XML data to do this, although there are other methods.

It really does not matter at all, because that initial bounce to track vocals to is only to track vocals to - it has nothing to do with the final project. As Joey stated, he imports the vocal tracks back into the original project after the fact and mixes from there.

I imagine he's using XML data to do this, although there are other methods.

ahhh.
I was under the impression (by the way it was phrased) that he simply bounced down the instrumental track as a complete work, tracked vocals with that, then mixed the 2 together.

I have been pondering this same thing for quite some time now, i currently bounce without the master chain on.

I downloaded your albums, and I really enjoyed them, I know this is off topic, but after hearing them, had to give you props. Keep it up!

you are crazy.

Sometimes i use up all ram. Thats when i bounce down synths to waw.