How is Ken?

Here's a recent interview with Ken from my fellow Carcass Mailing List subscriber. I got this about 2 weeks ago, so I imagine it's fairly recent...certainly more recent than the old interview with Ken that was posted here...

-Humanure

Ok fellas, here's some words from Ken.
-Pete

Can you tell about your haemorrhage and your recovering.

I had my haemorrhage in February '99. The type of haemorrhage I had is called an Arterio Venus Malformation, which is basically a vein being fed blood by an artery into my brain. Causing pressure on the vein, as they don't have elastic walls like an artery does, leading to the vein rupturing. This pressure occurred as I bent down to stroke Tango the cat, causing me to have a stroke and leave me in a coma. I can't remember how long I was in the coma but it was a few months. I had to have an operation to relieve the pressure off my brain stem. When I awoke from my coma I then went to have brain surgery to have the haemorrhage removed. After the surgery I then managed to contract sterile meningitis which set me back even further, almost to the point of deaths door. But I survived and left me without mobility, awareness and suffered severe memory loss, all of which is returning slowly. I've had to have physiotherapy, hydrotherapy and I've had quite a few spells in rehabilitation units. When I first came out of hospital I had to rely on my parents and carers for everything. Now I am able to walk round the house on my own using a walking stick. I have carers come in as I still suffer with memory loss and my awareness. Though all has improved so much within the last 18 months. I think my stamina and mobility has improved the most remarkably. I still use a wheelchair, I have an electric chair for when I go to the daycentre, and my carers and parents use the ordinary wheelchair for when we go out. I am not strong enough yet to walk long distances, but I'll get there. People can't believe how much I've recovered, the doctors think I'm a miracle, I like to think I am!! I received a few get well things but how many I don't know as I wasn't really aware.

Can you play drums now/in the future? Do you even want to (I've heard you are doing some electronic stuff now)?

I'm hoping to get my drum kit set up in my friends rehearsal studio. Obviously I won't be able to just sit down and play like I used to as my left hand needs to relearn co-ordination. Due to the stroke it has affected my left side. I'm determined to play the drums again though as I have really missed them. I have got a studio set up for my electronic stuff I'm just waiting on a friend to come and wire it up for me.

I know it's highly unlikely, but would you like to play a gig with Carcass once more? If you'd be fully recovered and everyone else would be into the idea.

No, I don't think carcass would ever perform live again as the moment has passed. No point in going back, I'm only interested in going forward.

Do you follow metal scene anymore?

No, I don't really follow the metal scene as closely as I used to. I tend to listen to allot of radio music, chart music. I still listen to my huge cd collection and a few 12" vinyl's.

Do you keep in touch with the other Carcass guys?

I keep in touch only with Bill nowadays. He is now living in Paris with Maya, they moved there because of Maya's job, I can't remember what she does though. I think Bill is struggling to find a job.

I hope I have managed to answer your questions sufficiently.
I'm sorry I don't know much about the whereabouts of the guys, but it has been nearly 4 years since I had my haemorrhage and things have been quite screwed up since. Anyway it was good to hear from you, take care, Ken.

i've spoken to Jeff Walker the other day, but he thought he was still in the wheelchair... Too bad the guys arent that much in tough anymore.
Besides, i'd pay a 100 quid just to see them live man...

cheers for the upd8 Humanure!