How is this mix? new TGM song, maybe...

Jun 2, 2005
Could be a new song, maybe not.. i could use some more ears on the mix though, as mine are once again, fecked.

http://www.myspace.com/toxicgrindmachinemusic

Patches here: http://www.esnips.com/web/toxicgrindmachinesStuff?docsPage=1#files

Update: added more body to the snare, took it down a bit in volume, guitars a bit louder (cheers kev) and mastered not so hot this time.

Quad tracked guitars, all POD XT, 2 patches... no compression or anything, just a wee bit of EQ.

Bass is still reason 3 clawfinger pack (in the cold light of reason).

Drums.. funny.. i tried the demo of addictive drums and that's what you are hearing now, one kick, one snare, one hihat (not my favorite) and one cymbal hit, so for the rest of the splashes and for toms i used EZ drummer.. dry out of the box, just a little bit of compression on EZ alltogether.
So no DFHS this time, made quite a difference when mixing.

Synths.. lot's, toxic III, vanguard, nexus, albino III, absynth III, etc.

On the master buss, instead of compression, i just went for a EQ and voxengo elephant, that's it.. LOVE the elephant!

Could use some feedback, cheers!

Can't edit.. but the song is not done btw, needs automation here and there, synths need to come alive more at certain parts, guitars are done in one or two tries, etc.

wow i fucking love the song
the synth sounds awesome
cant wait to hear the final mix >.<

Jaysus Chroist Bobert - first of all, FIE on you for using esnips, but this sounds amazing! (as always) Agree with Bernhard that it's WAY too loud, but damn, is that a stock AD kick? I have never heard ANY kick from that program sound so good, it's always been its weak point IMO, but damn...still a little thundery, perhaps, but fantastic attack on it. Love the subdrop and all the synths, once again you don't disappoint!

WHOA, nevermind, when everything drops out and it's just the guitars chugging away on that groovy riff (at like 3:25), I hear that the kick is way too scooped + clicky; works in the mix, but by itself, yeesh. Don't mess with success man, just APTrigga it with your old faithful "Burn Bright" combo! :) Oh, just heard a crappy edit also at the end of that groovy riff when it transitions into the next one at 4:08, might wanna smooth that one out a bit :D Ok, that's the end of nitpicking, damn does this rule, and is also the best Podxt tone I've ever heard!

Killer dude obsolutely killer. AD can sound really heavy. Whats the processing on those drums dude ? any patch for that ? Im about to purchase steven slate samples and I probably will, but if AD can sound like that then i need to think it twice _:D.

Also what patchs are you using ? it sounds fucking awesome dude . Clips like this are the reason that i still have my xt on my desk instead of selling it .

Somehow, esnips never works for me... I really want to take a listen... would you mind hosting it at soundclick or dropbox, please, Bob?

Hey guys, many thanks for the replies allready! sjees..
I uploaded it on soundclick now, so check out my myspace or soundclick in my link and it'll be there.

Mastered a bit too hot eh? lol.. i shalleth back down on it a bit, first try with the elephant and i just love the fact that it does not drown the snare and other dynamics for once!

Marcus, spot on about the transition, i was waaay to lazy and let that one slide, plus some automation and stuff, good ears!.. kick is quite clicky, but i really wanted something with attack and low end, the low end really comes from the stock AD kick that comes with the demo, i did add 2 samples to it though, but less then normal, one was the famous "brain kick".. that is the pantera kick plus reverb and some EQ/compression.

PZX, i'll upload the guitar patches later tonight on esnips.. dont expect miracles as it will sound quite different 9 out ten times, but you get the idea.
AD was just a demo, so i dont even know how to save the presets if there are any for a demo.
I have to say, snare and kick are both sampled with 2-3 samples all together, but the main attack and low end comes from AD, which is why im going to buy pretty damn soon.
I also chained the snare, kick and OH's to external group track with mild compression (twice) and a wee bit of reverb.

Jeroen, the piano is edirol orchestra's piano.. im honestly SICK of the sound allready, but since i dont have any other pianos to work with, this is it for now.
Hopefully i can get ma boy Trevor to sing on this one at one point, but that's completely up to him... im just glad people dig the mix.

Important question, would you say this mix is better then "Burn Bright" for example?

Hey!

I like this production more than Burn Bright's one, but relax on mastering!! It's way too loud, and it's pumping on the cymbals, maybe because of the master compression or the loud mastering, but something's going on there.

I prefer this guitars to burn bright ones, and drums sound better, fatter and stronger.

Let's see how does it improve with Trevor vox if any

Bob, you know I'm a big fan of you, keep on the great job!!! :D

if this song aint finished yet.. its well going to sound huge when you've finished it. i can't stop listening to it! and the kick sounds awesome for being AD, i normally have to replace kick in AD :(

what samples did you use for kick? if you don't mind me asking :D

Hey!

I like this production more than Burn Bright's one, but relax on mastering!! It's way too loud, and it's pumping on the cymbals, maybe because of the master compression or the loud mastering, but something's going on there.

I prefer this guitars to burn bright ones, and drums sound better, fatter and stronger.

Let's see how does it improve with Trevor vox if any

Bob, you know I'm a big fan of you, keep on the great job!!! :D

Cool man, much appreciated!

if this song aint finished yet.. its well going to sound huge when you've finished it. i can't stop listening to it! and the kick sounds awesome for being AD, i normally have to replace kick in AD :(

what samples did you use for kick? if you don't mind me asking :D

I'll post the kick tomorrow, what it was in AD i mean.. i'll let you know what two samples i blended in, one of them is the "brain kick" for sure, that has that scooped sound to it, and the click (pantera style) and the other i don't know anymore, i'll check it out.
Both are blended in for about 30/40% in total or so, so most of what you hear is the AD kick.